Re: [gnubies-il] Re: Firefox movie problem

    Message 1 of 10 , May 10 5:28 AM
      On Saturday 25 April 2009 01:14:31 baum_j wrote:
      > Shlomi, thanks a lot for ALL your replies.
      > To be honest, I did not expect to find such serious people out there -
      > willing to install a virtual copy, just to test MY bug. It really warms my
      > heart.

      I'm glad you're glad.

      BTW, it's not a virtual copy - it's an installation of the OS inside a virtual
      machine.

      > Why am I using Linux Mint....?
      > Because it works.
      > It took me a few really bad experiences with Linux (including Ubuntu) to
      > get this thing going.
      >
      > "Historically" :) I tried Ubuntu which did not support my Network card, and
      > then Kubuntu with the same problem. I then waited for the next version of
      > them, which again - did not support my card. And I'm talking crazy forums
      > search and correspondance and NDISWrapper and all and all. One of them did
      > not support my sound card as well - or maybe both...
      >
      > Then came Mint. It is supposed to be popular with American college boys. So
      > I figured it'll have all the laptop support in the world. It does.
      > I'm not saying it didn't take forums' search and all - but the answers
      > came! And it works great. I actually thinks it's on top of Ubuntu, with
      > added "out of the box" support for all those things.
      >
      > I'm really affraid moving to Ubuntu.
      > It was a nightmare struggling with it. I installed some 6 different Linux
      > flavours for about 20 times. (Also Mandriva if I recall...). No fun.

      I see. That's reasonable, I suppose.

      Well, I'll try upgrading to the new version of Linux Mint, and see if it
      solves the -vboxvideo problem.

      > Sorry for the long post,
      > David
      >
      > --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

      > > > OK, I was able to install Linux Mint on a VirtualBox VM, but I was
      > > > unable to get the "-vboxvideo" display driver to work properly. I'll
      > > > try doing the same with a vanilla Ubuntu VM, and report it.
      > >
      > > The Ubuntu 9.04 RC VM I installed ran the -vboxvideo display driver
      > > perfectly. So I reported a bug with Linux Mint:
      > >
      > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/363733
      > >
      > > Linux Mint seems buggier than Ubuntu.
      > >
      > > In any case, David (baum_j) - is there a good reason why you're using
      > > Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu, Mandriva, or Fedora? If not, you may
      > > consider switching to a different distribution.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Shlomi Fish

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      "The Human Hacking Field Guide" - http://xrl.us/bjn8q