Re: [gnubies-il] Firefox movie problem

  • Hagai Hadad
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 19 4:29 AM
      Like I said, I am not familiar with Mint. As for Ubuntu, I can say that the current version (8.10) works great in every aspect so far, including using firefox and watching youtube movies (and lots of other sites).
      More over I have Ubuntu installed on 5 different machines (2 laptops, 3 desktops) with different hardware and everything is working great.

      Hagai

      On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

      On Saturday 18 April 2009 16:56:38 Shlomi Fish wrote:

      > On Saturday 18 April 2009 16:15:25 baum_j wrote:
      > > Hi all, I'm new to Linux.
      >
      > Hi, welcome to Linux!

      > > I'm using Firefox as my browser.
      > >
      > > It works mostly fine.
      > > Only problem I got is, that sometimes when I open a YouTube tab, I can
      > > only hear the soundtrack and the where the movie should be, appears a
      > > gray rectangle. Now this is YouTube! I won't even begin describing
      > > problems in other movie sites (Metacafe, GoogleVideos...).
      > >
      > > How can this be fixed?
      > >
      > > I'm using the latest FF 3.0.8 on Linux Mint (Felicia)
      >
      > Have you tried upgrading to the latest Adobe Flash player?
      >
      > http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
      >
      > I'm not familiar with Linux Mint, but I will try to install it on a virtual
      > machine here to see if I can reproduce this problem (and find a solution).

      OK, I was able to install Linux Mint on a VirtualBox VM, but I was unable to
      get the "-vboxvideo" display driver to work properly. I'll try doing the same
      with a vanilla Ubuntu VM, and report it.

      Someone told me that Ubuntu and Linux Mint cause some problems with Flash, but
      I did not verify it yet.

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      Understand what Open Source is - http://xrl.us/bjn82

      read.

      --
      Hagai Hadad
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 19 6:52 AM
        On Sunday 19 April 2009 14:09:41 Shlomi Fish wrote:
        > On Saturday 18 April 2009 16:56:38 Shlomi Fish wrote:
        > > On Saturday 18 April 2009 16:15:25 baum_j wrote:
        > > > Hi all, I'm new to Linux.
        > >
        > > Hi, welcome to Linux!
        > >
        > > > I'm using Firefox as my browser.
        > > >
        > > > It works mostly fine.
        > > > Only problem I got is, that sometimes when I open a YouTube tab, I can
        > > > only hear the soundtrack and the where the movie should be, appears a
        > > > gray rectangle. Now this is YouTube! I won't even begin describing
        > > > problems in other movie sites (Metacafe, GoogleVideos...).
        > > >
        > > > How can this be fixed?
        > > >
        > > > I'm using the latest FF 3.0.8 on Linux Mint (Felicia)
        > >
        > > Have you tried upgrading to the latest Adobe Flash player?
        > >
        > > http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
        > >
        > > I'm not familiar with Linux Mint, but I will try to install it on a
        > > virtual machine here to see if I can reproduce this problem (and find a
        > > solution).
        >
        > OK, I was able to install Linux Mint on a VirtualBox VM, but I was unable
        > to get the "-vboxvideo" display driver to work properly. I'll try doing the
        > same with a vanilla Ubuntu VM, and report it.

        The Ubuntu 9.04 RC VM I installed ran the -vboxvideo display driver perfectly.
        So I reported a bug with Linux Mint:

        https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/363733

        Linux Mint seems buggier than Ubuntu.

        In any case, David (baum_j) - is there a good reason why you're using Linux
        Mint instead of Ubuntu, Mandriva, or Fedora? If not, you may consider
        switching to a different distribution.

        Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
        Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/

        read.
      • baum_j
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24 2:55 PM
          Hagai, thanks for the reply!
          about:plugins says:

          Shockwave Flash

          File name: npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
          Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22

          MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
          application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
          application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes

          What's yours say?
          David

          --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, Hagai Hadad <kopolov@...> wrote:

          > I am not familiar with Mint as well.
          >
          > Do you know which plugins version do you use in firefox?
          >
          > just type "about:plugins" in the firefox URL bar (where you write the web
          > addresses like "www.google.com")
          > This should open an internal web page with all the plugins used by firefox
          >
          > Check which plugin is used for flash
          >
          > I use Ubuntu 8.10 with FF 3 and the flash plugin is "Shockwave Flash" from
          > adobe.
          >
          > Hagai
          >

          > On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM, baum_j <baum_j@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Hi all, I'm new to Linux.
          > > I'm using Firefox as my browser.
          > >
          > > It works mostly fine.
          > > Only problem I got is, that sometimes when I open a YouTube tab, I can only
          > > hear the soundtrack and the where the movie should be, appears a gray
          > > rectangle.
          > > Now this is YouTube! I won't even begin describing problems in other movie
          > > sites (Metacafe, GoogleVideos...).
          > >
          > > How can this be fixed?
          > >
          > > I'm using the latest FF 3.0.8 on Linux Mint (Felicia)
          > >
          > > David
          > >

          > --
          > Hagai Hadad

        • baum_j
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24 3:14 PM
            Shlomi, thanks a lot for ALL your replies.
            To be honest, I did not expect to find such serious people out there - willing to install a virtual copy, just to test MY bug.
            It really warms my heart.

            Why am I using Linux Mint....?
            Because it works.
            It took me a few really bad experiences with Linux (including Ubuntu) to get this thing going.

            "Historically" :) I tried Ubuntu which did not support my Network card, and then Kubuntu with the same problem.
            I then waited for the next version of them, which again - did not support my card. And I'm talking crazy forums search and correspondance and NDISWrapper and all and all.
            One of them did not support my sound card as well - or maybe both...

            Then came Mint. It is supposed to be popular with American college boys. So I figured it'll have all the laptop support in the world.
            It does.
            I'm not saying it didn't take forums' search and all - but the answers came! And it works great. I actually thinks it's on top of Ubuntu, with added "out of the box" support for all those things.

            I'm really affraid moving to Ubuntu.
            It was a nightmare struggling with it. I installed some 6 different Linux flavours for about 20 times. (Also Mandriva if I recall...).
            No fun.

            Sorry for the long post,
            David

            --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

            > On Sunday 19 April 2009 14:09:41 Shlomi Fish wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi, welcome to Linux!

            > > > Have you tried upgrading to the latest Adobe Flash player?
            > > >
            > > > http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
            > > >
            > > > I'm not familiar with Linux Mint, but I will try to install it on a
            > > > virtual machine here to see if I can reproduce this problem (and find a
            > > > solution).
            > >
            > > OK, I was able to install Linux Mint on a VirtualBox VM, but I was unable
            > > to get the "-vboxvideo" display driver to work properly. I'll try doing the
            > > same with a vanilla Ubuntu VM, and report it.
            >
            > The Ubuntu 9.04 RC VM I installed ran the -vboxvideo display driver perfectly.
            > So I reported a bug with Linux Mint:
            >
            > https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/363733
            >
            > Linux Mint seems buggier than Ubuntu.
            >
            > In any case, David (baum_j) - is there a good reason why you're using Linux
            > Mint instead of Ubuntu, Mandriva, or Fedora? If not, you may consider
            > switching to a different distribution.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Shlomi Fish

            > Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
            > Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/
            >
            > God gave us two eyes and ten fingers so we will type five times as much as we
            > read.

          • Hagai Hadad
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 25 5:08 AM
              Here is my results:
              File name: libflashplayer.so
              Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22
              I did some search about npwrapper.libflashplayer.so but I am not sure what to tell you.
              Maybe you should try uninstalling the flash player and then reinstall it.

              Sorry I can't be much help here.

              I'll try to look at it more l8r

              Hagai

              --
              Hagai Hadad
              Message 6 of 10 , May 10, 2009
                On Saturday 25 April 2009 01:14:31 baum_j wrote:
                > Shlomi, thanks a lot for ALL your replies.
                > To be honest, I did not expect to find such serious people out there -
                > willing to install a virtual copy, just to test MY bug. It really warms my
                > heart.

                I'm glad you're glad.

                BTW, it's not a virtual copy - it's an installation of the OS inside a virtual
                machine.

                > Why am I using Linux Mint....?
                > Because it works.
                > It took me a few really bad experiences with Linux (including Ubuntu) to
                > get this thing going.
                >
                > "Historically" :) I tried Ubuntu which did not support my Network card, and
                > then Kubuntu with the same problem. I then waited for the next version of
                > them, which again - did not support my card. And I'm talking crazy forums
                > search and correspondance and NDISWrapper and all and all. One of them did
                > not support my sound card as well - or maybe both...
                >
                > Then came Mint. It is supposed to be popular with American college boys. So
                > I figured it'll have all the laptop support in the world. It does.
                > I'm not saying it didn't take forums' search and all - but the answers
                > came! And it works great. I actually thinks it's on top of Ubuntu, with
                > added "out of the box" support for all those things.
                >
                > I'm really affraid moving to Ubuntu.
                > It was a nightmare struggling with it. I installed some 6 different Linux
                > flavours for about 20 times. (Also Mandriva if I recall...). No fun.

                I see. That's reasonable, I suppose.

                Well, I'll try upgrading to the new version of Linux Mint, and see if it
                solves the -vboxvideo problem.

                > Sorry for the long post,
                > David
                >
                > --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                > > > OK, I was able to install Linux Mint on a VirtualBox VM, but I was
                > > > unable to get the "-vboxvideo" display driver to work properly. I'll
                > > > try doing the same with a vanilla Ubuntu VM, and report it.
                > >
                > > The Ubuntu 9.04 RC VM I installed ran the -vboxvideo display driver
                > > perfectly. So I reported a bug with Linux Mint:
                > >
                > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/363733
                > >
                > > Linux Mint seems buggier than Ubuntu.
                > >
                > > In any case, David (baum_j) - is there a good reason why you're using
                > > Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu, Mandriva, or Fedora? If not, you may
                > > consider switching to a different distribution.
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > >
                > > Shlomi Fish

                Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                "The Human Hacking Field Guide" - http://xrl.us/bjn8q