Re: [gnubies-il] Firefox movie problem

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 19 4:09 AM
      On Saturday 18 April 2009 16:56:38 Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > On Saturday 18 April 2009 16:15:25 baum_j wrote:
      > > Hi all, I'm new to Linux.
      >
      > Hi, welcome to Linux!
      >
      > > I'm using Firefox as my browser.
      > >
      > > It works mostly fine.
      > > Only problem I got is, that sometimes when I open a YouTube tab, I can
      > > only hear the soundtrack and the where the movie should be, appears a
      > > gray rectangle. Now this is YouTube! I won't even begin describing
      > > problems in other movie sites (Metacafe, GoogleVideos...).
      > >
      > > How can this be fixed?
      > >
      > > I'm using the latest FF 3.0.8 on Linux Mint (Felicia)
      >
      > Have you tried upgrading to the latest Adobe Flash player?
      >
      > http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
      >
      > I'm not familiar with Linux Mint, but I will try to install it on a virtual
      > machine here to see if I can reproduce this problem (and find a solution).

      OK, I was able to install Linux Mint on a VirtualBox VM, but I was unable to
      get the "-vboxvideo" display driver to work properly. I'll try doing the same
      with a vanilla Ubuntu VM, and report it.

      Someone told me that Ubuntu and Linux Mint cause some problems with Flash, but
      I did not verify it yet.

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      Understand what Open Source is - http://xrl.us/bjn82

      read.
    • Hagai Hadad
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 19 4:29 AM
        Like I said, I am not familiar with Mint. As for Ubuntu, I can say that the current version (8.10) works great in every aspect so far, including using firefox and watching youtube movies (and lots of other sites).
        More over I have Ubuntu installed on 5 different machines (2 laptops, 3 desktops) with different hardware and everything is working great.

        Hagai

        --
        Hagai Hadad
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 19 6:52 AM
          On Sunday 19 April 2009 14:09:41 Shlomi Fish wrote:
          > On Saturday 18 April 2009 16:56:38 Shlomi Fish wrote:
          > > On Saturday 18 April 2009 16:15:25 baum_j wrote:
          > > > Hi all, I'm new to Linux.
          > >
          > > Hi, welcome to Linux!
          > >
          > > > I'm using Firefox as my browser.
          > > >
          > > > It works mostly fine.
          > > > Only problem I got is, that sometimes when I open a YouTube tab, I can
          > > > only hear the soundtrack and the where the movie should be, appears a
          > > > gray rectangle. Now this is YouTube! I won't even begin describing
          > > > problems in other movie sites (Metacafe, GoogleVideos...).
          > > >
          > > > How can this be fixed?
          > > >
          > > > I'm using the latest FF 3.0.8 on Linux Mint (Felicia)
          > >
          > > Have you tried upgrading to the latest Adobe Flash player?
          > >
          > > http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
          > >
          > > I'm not familiar with Linux Mint, but I will try to install it on a
          > > virtual machine here to see if I can reproduce this problem (and find a
          > > solution).
          >
          > OK, I was able to install Linux Mint on a VirtualBox VM, but I was unable
          > to get the "-vboxvideo" display driver to work properly. I'll try doing the
          > same with a vanilla Ubuntu VM, and report it.

          The Ubuntu 9.04 RC VM I installed ran the -vboxvideo display driver perfectly.
          So I reported a bug with Linux Mint:

          https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/363733

          Linux Mint seems buggier than Ubuntu.

          In any case, David (baum_j) - is there a good reason why you're using Linux
          Mint instead of Ubuntu, Mandriva, or Fedora? If not, you may consider
          switching to a different distribution.

          Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
          Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/

          read.
        • baum_j
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24 2:55 PM
            Hagai, thanks for the reply!
            about:plugins says:

            Shockwave Flash

            File name: npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
            Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22

            MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
            application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
            application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes

            What's yours say?
            David

            --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, Hagai Hadad <kopolov@...> wrote:

            > I am not familiar with Mint as well.
            >
            > Do you know which plugins version do you use in firefox?
            >
            > just type "about:plugins" in the firefox URL bar (where you write the web
            > addresses like "www.google.com")
            > This should open an internal web page with all the plugins used by firefox
            >
            > Check which plugin is used for flash
            >
            > I use Ubuntu 8.10 with FF 3 and the flash plugin is "Shockwave Flash" from
            > adobe.
            >
            > Hagai
            >

            > On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM, baum_j <baum_j@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Hi all, I'm new to Linux.
            > > I'm using Firefox as my browser.
            > >
            > > It works mostly fine.
            > > Only problem I got is, that sometimes when I open a YouTube tab, I can only
            > > hear the soundtrack and the where the movie should be, appears a gray
            > > rectangle.
            > > Now this is YouTube! I won't even begin describing problems in other movie
            > > sites (Metacafe, GoogleVideos...).
            > >
            > > How can this be fixed?
            > >
            > > I'm using the latest FF 3.0.8 on Linux Mint (Felicia)
            > >
            > > David
            > >

            > --
            > Hagai Hadad

          • baum_j
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 24 3:14 PM
              Shlomi, thanks a lot for ALL your replies.
              To be honest, I did not expect to find such serious people out there - willing to install a virtual copy, just to test MY bug.
              It really warms my heart.

              Why am I using Linux Mint....?
              Because it works.
              It took me a few really bad experiences with Linux (including Ubuntu) to get this thing going.

              "Historically" :) I tried Ubuntu which did not support my Network card, and then Kubuntu with the same problem.
              I then waited for the next version of them, which again - did not support my card. And I'm talking crazy forums search and correspondance and NDISWrapper and all and all.
              One of them did not support my sound card as well - or maybe both...

              Then came Mint. It is supposed to be popular with American college boys. So I figured it'll have all the laptop support in the world.
              It does.
              I'm not saying it didn't take forums' search and all - but the answers came! And it works great. I actually thinks it's on top of Ubuntu, with added "out of the box" support for all those things.

              I'm really affraid moving to Ubuntu.
              It was a nightmare struggling with it. I installed some 6 different Linux flavours for about 20 times. (Also Mandriva if I recall...).
              No fun.

              Sorry for the long post,
              David

              --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

              > On Sunday 19 April 2009 14:09:41 Shlomi Fish wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi, welcome to Linux!

              > > > Have you tried upgrading to the latest Adobe Flash player?
              > > >
              > > > http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
              > > >
              > > > I'm not familiar with Linux Mint, but I will try to install it on a
              > > > virtual machine here to see if I can reproduce this problem (and find a
              > > > solution).
              > >
              > > OK, I was able to install Linux Mint on a VirtualBox VM, but I was unable
              > > to get the "-vboxvideo" display driver to work properly. I'll try doing the
              > > same with a vanilla Ubuntu VM, and report it.
              >
              > The Ubuntu 9.04 RC VM I installed ran the -vboxvideo display driver perfectly.
              > So I reported a bug with Linux Mint:
              >
              > https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/363733
              >
              > Linux Mint seems buggier than Ubuntu.
              >
              > In any case, David (baum_j) - is there a good reason why you're using Linux
              > Mint instead of Ubuntu, Mandriva, or Fedora? If not, you may consider
              > switching to a different distribution.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Shlomi Fish

              > Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
              > Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/
              >
              > God gave us two eyes and ten fingers so we will type five times as much as we
              > read.

            • Hagai Hadad
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 25 5:08 AM
                Here is my results:
                File name: libflashplayer.so
                Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22
                I did some search about npwrapper.libflashplayer.so but I am not sure what to tell you.
                Maybe you should try uninstalling the flash player and then reinstall it.

                Sorry I can't be much help here.

                I'll try to look at it more l8r

                Hagai

                --
                Hagai Hadad
                Message 7 of 10 , May 10, 2009
                  On Saturday 25 April 2009 01:14:31 baum_j wrote:
                  > Shlomi, thanks a lot for ALL your replies.
                  > To be honest, I did not expect to find such serious people out there -
                  > willing to install a virtual copy, just to test MY bug. It really warms my
                  > heart.

                  I'm glad you're glad.

                  BTW, it's not a virtual copy - it's an installation of the OS inside a virtual
                  machine.

                  > Why am I using Linux Mint....?
                  > Because it works.
                  > It took me a few really bad experiences with Linux (including Ubuntu) to
                  > get this thing going.
                  >
                  > "Historically" :) I tried Ubuntu which did not support my Network card, and
                  > then Kubuntu with the same problem. I then waited for the next version of
                  > them, which again - did not support my card. And I'm talking crazy forums
                  > search and correspondance and NDISWrapper and all and all. One of them did
                  > not support my sound card as well - or maybe both...
                  >
                  > Then came Mint. It is supposed to be popular with American college boys. So
                  > I figured it'll have all the laptop support in the world. It does.
                  > I'm not saying it didn't take forums' search and all - but the answers
                  > came! And it works great. I actually thinks it's on top of Ubuntu, with
                  > added "out of the box" support for all those things.
                  >
                  > I'm really affraid moving to Ubuntu.
                  > It was a nightmare struggling with it. I installed some 6 different Linux
                  > flavours for about 20 times. (Also Mandriva if I recall...). No fun.

                  I see. That's reasonable, I suppose.

                  Well, I'll try upgrading to the new version of Linux Mint, and see if it
                  solves the -vboxvideo problem.

                  > Sorry for the long post,
                  > David
                  >
                  > --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                  > > > OK, I was able to install Linux Mint on a VirtualBox VM, but I was
                  > > > unable to get the "-vboxvideo" display driver to work properly. I'll
                  > > > try doing the same with a vanilla Ubuntu VM, and report it.
                  > >
                  > > The Ubuntu 9.04 RC VM I installed ran the -vboxvideo display driver
                  > > perfectly. So I reported a bug with Linux Mint:
                  > >
                  > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/363733
                  > >
                  > > Linux Mint seems buggier than Ubuntu.
                  > >
                  > > In any case, David (baum_j) - is there a good reason why you're using
                  > > Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu, Mandriva, or Fedora? If not, you may
                  > > consider switching to a different distribution.
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > >
                  > > Shlomi Fish

                  Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                  "The Human Hacking Field Guide" - http://xrl.us/bjn8q