How to remove Windows XP OS

  • nadavyaniv
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2009
      Hi guys. 2 hours ago I installed Ubuntu-Linux OS on my ThinkPad X31. My laptop has a very limited hard-drive of 32 GB. With the 2 Operation systems I have got left only with about 5 GB. Therefore, I would like to know how to remove my Windows XP operation system. If someone can guide me through the steps I would appreciate it. Thanks. Yaniv.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2009
        On Thursday 26 March 2009 19:25:32 nadavyaniv wrote:
        > Hi guys. 2 hours ago I installed Ubuntu-Linux OS on my ThinkPad X31. My
        > laptop has a very limited hard-drive of 32 GB. With the 2 Operation systems
        > I have got left only with about 5 GB. Therefore, I would like to know how
        > to remove my Windows XP operation system. If someone can guide me through
        > the steps I would appreciate it. Thanks. Yaniv.

        Hi!

        Well, here are the steps:

        1. First of all backup all the partitions on your computer. This can be done
        either with a remote computer on the same Ethernet/Wifi connection, or with an
        external hard-disk.

        You can use the tar command - see
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_(file_format) to do the backup.

        This step is important because repartitioning may leave your hard-disk in an
        inconsistent state.

        2. Next, if you just want to re-use the Windows partitions as Linux ones
        (mounted somewhere under /) you can just reformat them as Linux Ext3
        partitions which is safer. If not, you'll need to do a more thorough re-
        partitioning of your hard-disk. Good tools for repartitioning are:

        * http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

        * http://mirror.isoc.org.il/pub/mandriva/official/iso/2009.0/ - the Mandriva
        installer has an excellent repartitioning tool and can be used to repartition
        your hard-drive.

        You'll need to burn these live CDs and boot from them.

        Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
        Why I Love Perl - http://xrl.us/bjn88

        read.
      • Dror Ezion
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28, 2009

          Why didn’t you delete it on the installation time ?

          Does the boot record belong to MS or Ubuntu (what is the first screen after you boot).

          If the boot selection belong to MS I suggest to reinstall all and just delete the MS partition in the Ubuntu installation process.

          Otherwise you can use GParted tool which is a very user friendly !

          http://lifehacker.com/photogallery/Lifehacker-Top-10-Ubuntu-Apps/1960077

          Ubuntu users can install gParted with the following command:

          #sudo apt-get install gparted

          Good luck !

          Dror Ezion