Re: [gnubies-il] live CD does not connect to Internet

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2008
      On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 08:11:39PM +0200, Shimon Lebowitz wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I have been trying to test a few linux systems by running a live-CD.
      > The distributions I tried were Mepis 7.0, Knoppix 5.1.1, and Kubuntu 8.04.1
      >
      > In all 3 cases, the system started up and looked very nice, BUT -
      > when I try to access web sites on the Internet I just get a timeout or
      > a not found message, or it just sits there forever saying "waiting for...".
      >
      > My connection is via eth0 (built in onboard LAN) to an ADSL modem-router
      > which is online all the time, and runs DHCP to give me an IP and DNS info.
      > I CAN ping my default gateway (the router).

      What device is it, exactly?

      > I used the Internet quite well with the CD of PClinuxOS-2007, but I have
      > been told that it is a very non-standard distribution, and that it's a good
      > idea to look at something else. I tried these, but without Internet
      > connectivity
      > of course they are useless to me.

      Try changing the following value in about:config in firefox (should also
      work with epiphany)

      network.dns.disableIPv6

      (look for "ipv6" in the filter. double-click on it to change its value)

      This is a workaround for a buggy DNS server on the router.

      --
      Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@... | VIM is
      http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2008
        You asked:
        > What device is it, exactly?

        I assume you mean the NIC:

        Identification
        Vendor: ‎Marvell Semiconductor Inc.

        Media class: ‎NETWORK_ETHERNET
        (This info taken from PClinuxOS HardDrake)

        > network.dns.disableIPv6
        In Mepis I found this set as True. Changing it to False had no noticable effect.
        BTW, in my PClinuxOS which does work, it is set as false.

        > This is a workaround for a buggy DNS server on the router.
        I did not understand that. The router runs a DHCP server for my PC,
        and gives me the IP addresses of the DNS servers it got from my ISP
        when it logged in to my account. As far as I know, there is no
        DNS server on the router itself at all.

        Thanks,
        Shimon