live CD does not connect to Internet

  • Shimon Lebowitz
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2008
      Hi,
      I have been trying to test a few linux systems by running a live-CD.
      The distributions I tried were Mepis 7.0, Knoppix 5.1.1, and Kubuntu 8.04.1

      In all 3 cases, the system started up and looked very nice, BUT -
      when I try to access web sites on the Internet I just get a timeout or
      a not found message, or it just sits there forever saying "waiting for...".

      My connection is via eth0 (built in onboard LAN) to an ADSL modem-router
      which is online all the time, and runs DHCP to give me an IP and DNS info.
      I CAN ping my default gateway (the router).

      I used the Internet quite well with the CD of PClinuxOS-2007, but I have
      been told that it is a very non-standard distribution, and that it's a good
      idea to look at something else. I tried these, but without Internet
      connectivity
      of course they are useless to me.

      Of course under Windows it also works perfectly.

      Thanks for your help!
      Shimon
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2008
        On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 08:11:39PM +0200, Shimon Lebowitz wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I have been trying to test a few linux systems by running a live-CD.
        > The distributions I tried were Mepis 7.0, Knoppix 5.1.1, and Kubuntu 8.04.1
        >
        > In all 3 cases, the system started up and looked very nice, BUT -
        > when I try to access web sites on the Internet I just get a timeout or
        > a not found message, or it just sits there forever saying "waiting for...".
        >
        > My connection is via eth0 (built in onboard LAN) to an ADSL modem-router
        > which is online all the time, and runs DHCP to give me an IP and DNS info.
        > I CAN ping my default gateway (the router).

        What device is it, exactly?

        > I used the Internet quite well with the CD of PClinuxOS-2007, but I have
        > been told that it is a very non-standard distribution, and that it's a good
        > idea to look at something else. I tried these, but without Internet
        > connectivity
        > of course they are useless to me.

        Try changing the following value in about:config in firefox (should also
        work with epiphany)

        network.dns.disableIPv6

        (look for "ipv6" in the filter. double-click on it to change its value)

        This is a workaround for a buggy DNS server on the router.

        --
        Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@... | VIM is
        http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2008
          You asked:
          > What device is it, exactly?

          I assume you mean the NIC:

          Identification
          Vendor: ‎Marvell Semiconductor Inc.

          Media class: ‎NETWORK_ETHERNET
          (This info taken from PClinuxOS HardDrake)

          > network.dns.disableIPv6
          In Mepis I found this set as True. Changing it to False had no noticable effect.
          BTW, in my PClinuxOS which does work, it is set as false.

          > This is a workaround for a buggy DNS server on the router.
          I did not understand that. The router runs a DHCP server for my PC,
          and gives me the IP addresses of the DNS servers it got from my ISP
          when it logged in to my account. As far as I know, there is no
          DNS server on the router itself at all.

          Thanks,
          Shimon