Re: [gnubies-il] configuring dsl modem

  • Oded Arbel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2007
      On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 17:16 +0000, hanna.freeman wrote:
      > I am new with ubuntu and I do not know how to define the connection
      > the internet provider.

      What internet provider ? Specifically - do you use DSL or cables ?

      Personally, I recommend people to get a router and configure it to
      handle the internet connection. Routers are very cheap (A very good
      router costs 300NIS, and Bezeq rents out a router as part of the DSL
      package for 10NIS a month), easy to configure, allow you to connect
      multiple computers (possibly with wireless networking) and won't mind
      you reinstalling your computer. Most also offer built-in firewall, but
      even if they don't - the simple fact that you are behind a router
      decreases your risk factor when using the internet.
    • Oded Arbel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2007
        On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 17:16 +0000, hanna.freeman wrote:
        > I am new with ubuntu and I do not know how to define the connection
        > the internet provider.

        What internet provider ? or more specifically - DSL or cables ? for DSL
        you need to open a console and run
        sudo pppoeconf
        (you might need to install it first - if you don't have it installed,
        ubuntu will tell you what you need to do). I think its very said that
        Ubuntu, being one of the more advanced Linux distros does not have a GUI
        for configuring internet dial-up connections, something any other modern
        Linux operating system has:
        https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/pppoeconf-gui