configuring dsl modem

  • hanna.freeman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2007
      I am new with ubuntu and I do not know how to define the connection to
      the internet provider.
    • Oded Arbel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2007
        On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 17:16 +0000, hanna.freeman wrote:
        > I am new with ubuntu and I do not know how to define the connection
        > the internet provider.

        What internet provider ? Specifically - do you use DSL or cables ?

        Personally, I recommend people to get a router and configure it to
        handle the internet connection. Routers are very cheap (A very good
        router costs 300NIS, and Bezeq rents out a router as part of the DSL
        package for 10NIS a month), easy to configure, allow you to connect
        multiple computers (possibly with wireless networking) and won't mind
        you reinstalling your computer. Most also offer built-in firewall, but
        even if they don't - the simple fact that you are behind a router
        decreases your risk factor when using the internet.
      • Oded Arbel
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 15, 2007
          On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 17:16 +0000, hanna.freeman wrote:
          > I am new with ubuntu and I do not know how to define the connection
          > the internet provider.

          What internet provider ? or more specifically - DSL or cables ? for DSL
          you need to open a console and run
          sudo pppoeconf
          (you might need to install it first - if you don't have it installed,
          ubuntu will tell you what you need to do). I think its very said that
          Ubuntu, being one of the more advanced Linux distros does not have a GUI
          for configuring internet dial-up connections, something any other modern
          Linux operating system has:
          https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/pppoeconf-gui