RGF-Sarai CSDS programme for short-term FLOSS fellowships

  • Frederick Noronha
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2007
      Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
      Fri May 25 13:34:49 CEST 2007

      Hello all,
      Below is an invitation for proposals for the RGF-Sarai
      CSDS programme for short-term FLOSS fellowships. Please feel
      to circulate this far and wide. The deadline for submission
      of proposals is the 25th of June. Please feel free to address
      any queries with regards to this to floss at sarai.net.

      Call for proposals:
      RGF-Sarai, CSDS, short-term FLOSS fellowships

      1 Introduction

      The Sarai programme of the Centre for the Study of Developing
      Societies, Delhi (http://www.sarai. net) is pleased to
      announce fellowships for projects related to Free/Libre and
      Open Source Software (FLOSS) activities. This year, we have
      partnered with the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation (RGF) who are
      providing support for work in the specific area of computing,
      and localisation in five Indian languages, namely, Assamese,
      Hindi, Kashmiri, Oriya, and Urdu. We also invite proposals
      from projects in other FLOSS areas, especially ones that are
      relevant to educational, social, and community needs. Any
      project that meets the criteria given below is eligible for
      the fellowships, but we are particularly interested in:

      o Indian language computing, including work on fonts,
      rendering, locales, input methods, spell-checking,
      etc., as well as in advanced technologies like OCR,
      handwriting recognition, and speech-to-text.

      o Localisation into Indian languages of user interfaces,
      and translation of help documents for FLOSS

      o In the interest of sustained development, we would
      like to see the enhancement of, and extensions for
      projects funded as part of past Sarai FLOSS
      fellowships. In particular, we draw attention to
      NewsRack (http://newsrack.in), Hindawi
      (http://www.indicybers.com), and ApnaOpus

      o Documentation for users of FLOSS tools, particularly
      in the area of Indian language computing. The
      production of video tutorials would be welcome.

      o Development of graphics, multimedia, and publishing
      tools. This would include applications for audio/video
      editing, animation, and desktop publishing.
      Enhancement of existing FLOSS tools is especially

      o Putting together, distributing, and supporting a
      complete Indian language distribution, using FLOSS
      operating systems, and tools.

      o Collaboration software, and groupware solutions.

      o Writing Linux device drivers, and front-ends for
      common hardware, such as wireless cards, graphics
      cards, scanners, and printers.

      The other significant difference from past practice is that
      we will be asking for more of a collaborative approach from
      the fellows, both among one another, and with people at
      Sarai. The collaboration need not be in the actual
      development, but can consist of an ongoing conversation about
      one's work, its direction, and current status. While this
      has been an implicit expectation in the past, this time we
      are making the requirement explicit. The exact details of
      these will be worked out with the selected fellows, but will
      include things like discussions over IRC, email, and postings
      on the Sarai Project Resource Centre (PRC) mailing list.
      Fellows will also be asked to prepare a timeline for the
      projects, with intermediate milestones, and will be expected
      to adhere to them.

      2 Applying for the fellowships

      We invite students, developers, researchers, and
      practitioners interested in the FLOSS arena to apply for the
      fellowships. While there is no prescribed format for the
      applications, we expect them to be in sufficient detail for a
      reviewer to sensibly evaluate them. Attention to details,
      such as a plan of work that addresses what is possible to
      accomplish within the limited project period, a projection of
      how the work might be continued after that, and a discussion
      of the possible impact of the project, is strongly
      recommended. In particular, we will look favourably on
      projects aimed at eventual deployment, rather than
      development per se. Please mail your application, along with
      a resume, to floss at sarai.net , with the subject line of
      "RGF-Sarai FLOSS fellowships". As this information is
      intended to be public, also subscribe to the PRC mailing list
      at https://mail.sarai.net/mailman/listinfo/prc, and post a
      copy there, failing which your final proposal will be
      forwarded there by one of us. Enquiries are invited at floss
      at sarai.net , and on the PRC list, including questions on
      how to frame proposals. The last date of submission is
      midnight IST on Sun., June 25th, 2007. The projects will run
      for a total of about six months, with a final workshop to be
      held at Sarai, CSDS, Delhi, where the fellows will be
      expected to present a summary of their work. Besides this, as
      part of our engagement with the RGF, we will be holding
      workshops in regional locations, and the FLOSS fellows will
      be asked to be present at events local to them. The total
      amount of the fellowship will be Rs. 70, 000.

      3 Conditions

      Applicants should have a valid bank account in any bank
      operating in India. These are support grants, and the fellows
      are free to pursue their primary occupations in parallel, as
      long as they keep working on proposed projects. The fellows
      must be willing to make a release of their final work under
      any open-source licence approved by the Open Source
      Initiative (OSI). Please see under
      http://www.opensource.org/licenses for a complete list.
      Proposals from teams, partnerships, collectives, and faculty
      on the behalf of a group of students are welcome, so long as
      the grant amount is administered by a single individual, and
      the funds are deposited in a single bank account in the name
      of an individual.

      FN M: 0091 9822122436 P: +91-832-240-9490 (after 1300IST)
      Skype: fredericknoronha Yahoochat: fredericknoronha
      http://fn.goa-india.org http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com
      Email fred at bytesforall.org Res: 784 Saligao 403511 Goa India