RPM/make/gcc/

  • adb
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2006
      Hey guys and girls...

      Im having a bit of a noogie here...
      I have a system [RH6.2 based, with improvements] which im not sure how to address...
      The system has been deprived of a gcc [any c for that matter] compiler, or make, or a working RPM mechanism.
      which means, i cant really complie any program, [make or gcc], and i cant install by rpm since i dont have it working.
      i might be able to, say install the gcc, but it requires gcc........ [or rpm for the rpm version..]

      at first running just 'rpm' would give me some strange errors an than i copied over some files from a working system i have
      /usr/bin/rpm
      /var/lib/rpm
      [i think it was these two folders]

      and now rpm looks like its running, but when i try to install something [using -ivh] i get a big line of hashes and no details, and then when i try the verify option on that same rpm file, i get its installed [i also tried other rpms, the same]

      any ideas???
      thanx, adir.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 2006
        On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 09:49:15PM +0200, adb wrote:
        > Hey guys and girls...
        >
        > Im having a bit of a noogie here...
        > I have a system [RH6.2 based, with improvements] which im not sure how to
        > address...
        > The system has been deprived of a gcc [any c for that matter] compiler, or
        > make, or a working RPM mechanism.
        > which means, i cant really complie any program, [make or gcc], and i cant
        > install by rpm since i dont have it working.
        > i might be able to, say install the gcc, but it requires gcc........ [or rpm
        > for the rpm version..]
        >
        > at first running just 'rpm' would give me some strange errors an than i
        > copied over some files from a working system i have
        > /usr/bin/rpm

        /usr/lib/rpm ?

        > /var/lib/rpm
        > [i think it was these two folders]

        From which version? The formay of the rpm database has changed several
        times.

        If you have already purged your old rpm database, you might as well use
        'rpm --initdb'. Note that any package you'll try to install will
        complain about not having dependencies.

        You could try getting copies of rpms that must have been installd in the
        system (from a CD you might have or from ftp.redhat.com) and install
        them with --justdb . But this involves a huge ammount of work.

        > and now rpm looks like its running, but when i try to install something
        > [using -ivh] i get a big line of hashes and no details, and then when i try
        > the verify option on that same rpm file, i get its installed [i also tried
        > other rpms, the same]

        BTW: get yourself a statically linked busybox binary:
        http://packages.debian.org/unstable/shells/busybox-static . (debs can be
        extracted with ar and tar, you know).
      • zukini@nerdshack.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 20, 2006
          The rpm version im using is 3.0.4...

          I got the latest busybox i think, and i looks like a cool gadjet, but im
          not sure as to how im supposed to work around it... its still gonna want
          the lib files and all isnt it?

          How am i supposed to get a gcc on my machine?? hmmmmmmm

          On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 09:49:15PM +0200, adb wrote:
          > Hey guys and girls...
          >
          > Im having a bit of a noogie here...
          > I have a system [RH6.2 based, with improvements] which im not sure how to
          > address...
          > The system has been deprived of a gcc [any c for that matter] compiler, or
          > make, or a working RPM mechanism.
          > which means, i cant really complie any program, [make or gcc], and i cant
          > install by rpm since i dont have it working.
          > i might be able to, say install the gcc, but it requires gcc........ [or
          rpm
          > for the rpm version..]
          >
          > at first running just 'rpm' would give me some strange errors an than i
          > copied over some files from a working system i have
          > /usr/bin/rpm

          /usr/lib/rpm ?

          > /var/lib/rpm
          > [i think it was these two folders]