Unable to install linux

  • hagai_hadad
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2006
      Hi all,
      I am new to linux.
      I downloaded debian linux into 2 DVD.
      When I try to install it, I recieve the initial screen ("Press F1 for
      help or Enter to boot:").
      After I press the "Enter", it begins the installation. Few seconds
      after, the computer reboot and the process repeat itself.
      My hardware (quite old) is as follows:
      PIII - 600 MHz.
      MOBO - FreeTech P6F116
      Display - Nvidia (3600 I think, I`ll check).
      I am currently checking for hardware problems, so I am trying to
      reinstall WinXP for that matter, just to see if the installation
      succeed.

      I would appreciate any advice.
      Hagai
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2006
        On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 05:37:59AM -0000, hagai_hadad wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > I am new to linux.
        > I downloaded debian linux into 2 DVD.

        If you havea decent network connection, the first CD will do as well.
        Even if you don't: he first and second are usually enough to get the
        network connection set.

        > When I try to install it, I recieve the initial screen ("Press F1 for
        > help or Enter to boot:").
        > After I press the "Enter", it begins the installation. Few seconds
        > after, the computer reboot and the process repeat itself.
        > My hardware (quite old) is as follows:
        > PIII - 600 MHz.
        > MOBO - FreeTech P6F116
        > Display - Nvidia (3600 I think, I`ll check).
        > I am currently checking for hardware problems, so I am trying to
        > reinstall WinXP for that matter, just to see if the installation
        > succeed.

        It might be a defective DVD.

        Another thing to try is memtest from just about any linux rescue CD.
      • hagai_hadad
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2006
          --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 05:37:59AM -0000, hagai_hadad wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > > I am new to linux.
          > > I downloaded debian linux into 2 DVD.
          >
          > If you havea decent network connection, the first CD will do as well.
          > Even if you don't: he first and second are usually enough to get the
          > network connection set.

          I am sorry, but I did not understand what you wrote about the network.

          > > When I try to install it, I recieve the initial screen ("Press F1 for
          > > help or Enter to boot:").
          > > After I press the "Enter", it begins the installation. Few seconds
          > > after, the computer reboot and the process repeat itself.
          > > My hardware (quite old) is as follows:
          > > PIII - 600 MHz.
          > > MOBO - FreeTech P6F116
          > > Display - Nvidia (3600 I think, I`ll check).
          > > I am currently checking for hardware problems, so I am trying to
          > > reinstall WinXP for that matter, just to see if the installation
          > > succeed.
          >
          > It might be a defective DVD.
          >
          > Another thing to try is memtest from just about any linux rescue CD.

          Thanks, I will try that.