Re: [gnubies-il] Debian + Gnome

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2006
      On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 01:56:06PM -0000, wreckovski wrote:
      > Hello.
      > I've recently installed Debian and added gnome and its related
      > packages after installation.

      Did you use manual packages selection? Have you selected the package wdm
      explicitly? Is the package gdm installed?

      Were there any major errors?

      > After restarting, X starts with wdm and gnome, yet nothing appears on
      > the screen except X as a cursor and all its functionality is a left-
      > click menu which gives me access to some programs I've installed.

      Are you sure you started gnome? Where are the menus located?

      > What went wrong? :\
      > I also can't go back to textual mode or start a terminal.
      >
      > Thanks to all the helpers.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • wreckovski
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2006
        Yes. Gdm is installed and runs at startup.
        (I know it 'cause when I shut down the process shuts down gdm.)
        And I didn't select packages individually, I just chose the
        entire "gnome" branch.

        Are you saying that removing wdm will solve this?

        I thank you for you post.
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2006
          On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 04:03:36PM -0000, wreckovski wrote:
          > Yes. Gdm is installed and runs at startup.
          > (I know it 'cause when I shut down the process shuts down gdm.)
          > And I didn't select packages individually, I just chose the
          > entire "gnome" branch.
          >
          > Are you saying that removing wdm will solve this?

          Those are two separate issues. While wdm is not as good as gdm, it
          should still be able to log you into gnome.

          I'd like to see what it is that you log into.