Problems with OenOffice2.0 and Hebrew GUI

  • Nigel Ridley
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 14, 2006
      I have just installed Kubuntu Dapper which has OpenOffice 2.0 and also
      installed all the Hebrew packages I could find (except the Gnome ones)
      and everything is working well :-) Except that is, OpenOffice.
      When the GUI of OpenOffice is in English there is no problems but if I
      change the 'User Interface' (Tools > Options > Languages) to Hebrew,
      then restart OpenOffice all the Font fields are empty! There are other
      issues as well including the fact that if I go to change the 'User
      Interface' settings, everything is grayed out.
      I have to delete /home/nigel/.openoffice.org2 and restart OpenOffice
      again - and keep it in English :-(

      Anybody else experience this - is it just a Kubuntu bug or an OpenOffice
      one?

      Blessings,

      Nigel
    • Oded Arbel
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18, 2006
        On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 09:44 +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
        > I have just installed Kubuntu Dapper which has OpenOffice 2.0 and also
        > installed all the Hebrew packages I could find (except the Gnome ones)
        > and everything is working well :-) Except that is, OpenOffice.

        you might want to make sure that you installed the openoffice-i10n-he
        package.

        --
        Oded
        ::..
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 18, 2006
          Oded Arbel wrote:

          > On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 09:44 +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
          > > I have just installed Kubuntu Dapper which has OpenOffice 2.0 and also
          > > installed all the Hebrew packages I could find (except the Gnome ones)
          > > and everything is working well :-) Except that is, OpenOffice.
          >
          > you might want to make sure that you installed the openoffice-i10n-he
          > package.
          >
          > --
          > Oded
          > ::..
          > He who asks a question may be a fool for five minutes, but he who never
          > asks a question remains a fool forever.
          > -- Tom J. Connelly

          Hi Oded,

          Yes it was already installed. I did post the problem on the kubuntu list
          but had no replies yet - maybe not a lot of Hebrew users there ;-)

          I might file it as a bug with kubuntu after checking the openoffice.org
          bugs first.

          Thanks anyway though.

          Blessings,

          Nigel

          --
          PrayingForIsrael.net
          http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

          Messianic E-Cards.com
          http://www.messianicecards.com/
        • Oded Arbel
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 18, 2006
            On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 19:20 +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
            > On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 09:44 +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
            >  > I have just installed Kubuntu Dapper which has OpenOffice 2.0 and also
            >  > installed all the Hebrew packages I could find (except the Gnome ones)
            >  > and everything is working well :-) Except that is, OpenOffice.
            >
            > you might want to make sure that you installed the openoffice-i10n-he
            > package.

            Yes it was already installed. I did post the problem on the kubuntu list
            but had no replies yet - maybe not a lot of Hebrew users there ;-)

            It works for me on Mandriva and Fedora (I'll try with Kubuntu when I get home). I understand you are using the KDE integration for OpenOffice ? On my systems I'm using the GNOME integration.
            --
            Oded

            ::..
            Z-4195 : "There you have it: your basic boy-meets-girl, boy-likes-girl, boy-changes-the-underlying-social-order story."
                -- from "Antz"

          • Nigel Ridley
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 18, 2006
              Oded Arbel wrote:

              >> > you might want to make sure that you installed the openoffice-i10n-he
              >> > package.
              >
              >> Yes it was already installed. I did post the problem on the kubuntu list
              >> but had no replies yet - maybe not a lot of Hebrew users there ;-)
              >
              > It works for me on Mandriva and Fedora (I'll try with Kubuntu when I get
              > home). I understand you are using the KDE integration for OpenOffice ?
              > On my systems I'm using the GNOME integration.

              Yes it's a KDE setup and Kubuntu have their own Openoffice packages - so
              that might be where the problem lies.

              Let me know how you get on with your Kubuntu - is it Breezy Badger or
              Dapper Drake? Mine is Dapper Drake.

              Blessings,

              Nigel

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 18, 2006
                On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 21:52 +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
                Oded Arbel wrote:

                > On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 19:20 +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
                >
                >> > On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 09:44 +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
                >> >  > I have just installed Kubuntu Dapper which has OpenOffice 2.0 and also
                >> >  > installed all the Hebrew packages I could find (except the Gnome ones)
                >> >  > and everything is working well :-) Except that is, OpenOffice.
                >> >
                >> > you might want to make sure that you installed the openoffice-i10n-he
                >> > package.
                >
                >> Yes it was already installed. I did post the problem on the kubuntu list
                >> but had no replies yet - maybe not a lot of Hebrew users there ;-)
                >
                > It works for me on Mandriva and Fedora (I'll try with Kubuntu when I get
                > home). I understand you are using the KDE integration for OpenOffice ?
                > On my systems I'm using the GNOME integration.

                Yes it's a KDE setup and Kubuntu have their own Openoffice packages - so
                that might be where the problem lies.

                On my girl friend's Kubuntu Dapper Drake, I don't see anything grayed out, and the interface works perfectly - except that all select boxes are empty ! that includes the font lists, the user interface language control and any other control which is implemented as a select box. Also spin buttons are working but the text is displayed incorrectly.

                Tomorrow I will check how the Mandriva open office KDE integration works - with the GNOME integration it work ok.

                --
                Oded

                ::..
                "Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions."
                    -- Terry Pratchet / "The Truth"

              • Nigel Ridley
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 19, 2006
                  Oded Arbel wrote:

                  > On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 21:52 +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
                  >
                  >> Oded Arbel wrote:

                  >> > It works for me on Mandriva and Fedora (I'll try with Kubuntu when I get
                  >> > home). I understand you are using the KDE integration for OpenOffice ?
                  >> > On my systems I'm using the GNOME integration.
                  >>
                  >> Yes it's a KDE setup and Kubuntu have their own Openoffice packages - so
                  >> that might be where the problem lies.
                  >
                  > On my girl friend's Kubuntu Dapper Drake, I don't see anything grayed
                  > out, and the interface works perfectly - except that all select boxes
                  > are empty ! that includes the font lists, the user interface language
                  > control and any other control which is implemented as a select box. Also
                  > spin buttons are working but the text is displayed incorrectly.

                  Yes, that's how it is on my [daughter's] box. I have convinced her to
                  use the English interface for just now - help her learn English quicker! :-)

                  Perhaps the next release will fix the problem.

                  > Tomorrow I will check how the Mandriva open office KDE integration works
                  > - with the GNOME integration it work ok.
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > Oded
                  >
                  > ::..
                  > "Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in
                  > all kinds of directions."
                  > -- Terry Pratchet / "The Truth"

                  Blessings,

                  Nigel