Re: [gnubies-il] advice needed

  • Maxim Vexler
    Message 1 of 9 , May 20, 2006
      On 5/19/06, Itay Moav <isr_comics@...> wrote:

      > So - It seems I will go on debian.
      > I should be able to install it on my personal computer beside the windows XP pro and practice on it - right?

      Yes, just make sure to leave some space unpartitioned on your HD for linux.
      The installer will create several new partitions, specifically /boot, / & swap.

      > I will need a dedicated server, nothing less will suffice me.
      >
      > Which control panel is recommended?

      Control panel for what purpose?
      For system administration nothing beats webmin IMHO.

      Good luck.

      > Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@...> wrote:
      > On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 09:16:05PM +0200, Maxim Vexler wrote:
      > > On 5/18/06, Itay Moav <isr_comics@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Greetings,
      > > >
      > > > I have to buy a dedicated server, with linux operating system.
      > > > Which linux will provide me with max stability and modules, preferably a
      > > > free softwere.
      > > >

      > The software is free. You pay generally pay for the support.
      > Thus you find CentOS (the same software as RHEL) which is completely
      > free software, whereas RHEL itself costs.
      >
      > There are some really cheap deals. It also depends on the ammount of
      > resources you need: if you're willing to use less resources, you can get
      > a "virtual machine" for much less than a dedicated server. You'll
      > typically get much less bandwidth, memory, CPU time, and such. Spam and
      > virus scanning does take its toll from the CPU. A spiffy web site may
      > also.
      >
      > "Virtual hosting":
      >
      > Some providers just host several many accounts on the same machine. Not
      > what you want: you'll feel the limitations.
      >
      > There are types of virtual hostings that actually work. Specifically
      > User-mode Linux and XEN. Both are popular with hosting providers.
      >

      > So the deal you'll get depends on basically how much resources you need,
      > how much support you need and what extra services you need (e.g: many
      > sites will tell you "we provide backup". But what backup is this,
      > really? Can you restore from it? Can you restore just parts? Do you need
      > to contact support for the restore operation? Is there actually support
      > availble at Israeli working hours?)
      >
      > > > I will need apache, php, mail server, firewall, antivirus and more
      > > >

      > > Those are available on any distribution, the question is which version
      > > required ?
      > >
      > > Generally speaking I would say debian because it's free stable and efficient.
      > > If you choose to go the red-hat way then CentOS / FedoraCore5 would be suitable.
      >
      > Actually, there are many providers that provide Fedora or even worse:
      > still provide RH9. Don't go for those. Fedora may be a good desktop OS,
      > but is generally more of a "moving target" and will not be supported as
      > long as more decent distributions.
      >
      > In a year or so, you'll be left with obsolete software for which you'll
      > have no security updates.
      >
      > Also note that "control panels" such as cPanel practically run over the
      > system's software with their own. Don't expect timely security updates
      > to the "cpanel" software. I had reviewed their system a number of times
      > and reported serious security issues and those were not fixed in a
      > timely manner. I also find their software badly documented and badly
      > lacking hooks for my own modifications.
      >
      > I assume that the situation is similar with other "control panels" such
      > as enzyme.
      >
      > -- Tzafrir
      >

      > ________________________________
      New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and
      save big.

      --
      Cheers,
      Maxim Vexler

      "Free as in Freedom" - Do u GNU ?
    • Itay Moav
      Message 2 of 9 , May 20, 2006
        thanks

        control panel for web options, i.e. like Cpanel.

        Did I understand corrctly:
        My HD is partitioned to three parts C,O,P.
        My Windows is installed on C.
        Can I install Debian on O?

        --
        Cheers,
        Maxim Vexler

        "Free as in Freedom" - Do u GNU ?

      • Maxim Vexler
        Message 3 of 9 , May 20, 2006
          On 5/20/06, Itay Moav <isr_comics@...> wrote:

          > thanks
          >
          > control panel for web options, i.e. like Cpanel.

          I think zpanel is FREE, but don't take my word for it.
          Better wait for someone more web-host oriented to answer this for you.

          > Did I understand corrctly:
          > My HD is partitioned to three parts C,O,P.
          > My Windows is installed on C.
          > Can I install Debian on O?

          Is "O" an ntfs partition mapped as drive O ? If so then no, you will
          need to delete this partition from your HD leaving empty unpartitioned
          space for the debian install to later on pick up and use. From this
          unpartitioned space debian will create (at least) 3 new partitions
          that would hold other file systems. Linux supports a vast amount of
          different file systems, ntfs is also supported but not for write (due
          to unpublished specifications by the copyright holder - microsoft). By
          default debian will use the ext3 file system. After you complete setup
          a boot loader will be installed that will allow you to dual boot your
          PC.

> [...]
          > > have no security updates.
          > >
          > > Also note that "control panels" such as cPanel practically run over the
          > > system's software with their own. Don't expect timely security updates
          > > to the "cpanel" software. I had reviewed their system a number of times
          > > and reported serious security issues and those were not fixed in a
          > > timely manner. I also find their software badly documented and badly
          > > lacking hooks for my own modifications.
          > >
          > > I assume that the situation is similar with other "control panels" such
          > > as enzyme.
          > >
          > > -- Tzafrir
          > >

          > > ________________________________
          > New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and
          > save big.

          > > Technical support Linux software Linux operating system
          > > Technical support software Hosting linux unix web Free linux operating system

          Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low
          rates.

          --
          Cheers,
          Maxim Vexler

          "Free as in Freedom" - Do u GNU ?
        • Itay Moav
          Message 4 of 9 , May 20, 2006
            Thanks,

            Did you mean Cpanel or there realy is a Zpanel?

            --
            Cheers,
            Maxim Vexler

            "Free as in Freedom" - Do u GNU ?

          • Maxim Vexler
            Message 5 of 9 , May 20, 2006
              On 5/21/06, Itay Moav <isr_comics@...> wrote:

              > Thanks,
              >
              > Did you mean Cpanel or there realy is a Zpanel?

              Well, why don't you try it and find out. ;)

              http://www.google.com/search?q=zpanel

> [...]
              > > > as enzyme.
              > > >
              > > > -- Tzafrir
              > > >

              > > > ________________________________
              > > New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and
              > > save big.

              > > > Technical support Linux software Linux operating system
              > > > Technical support software Hosting linux unix web Free linux operating system

              > > > ________________________________
              > >

              > > --
              > > Cheers,
              > > Maxim Vexler
              > >
              > > "Free as in Freedom" - Do u GNU ?
              > >

              > > ________________________________
              > Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low
              > rates.

              > > Technical support Linux software Linux operating system
              > > Technical support software Hosting linux unix web Free linux operating system

              Sneak preview the all-new Yahoo.com. It's not radically different.
              Just radically better.

              --
              Cheers,
              Maxim Vexler