Re: [gnubies-il] New poll for gnubies-il

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2001
      On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, amir abiri wrote:

      > > On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
      > >

      > > Besides the fact that there is no conclusive result, it also seems that
      > > most of the list's subscribers don't really care much about this.
      > >
      > > Since setting a new list is much easier than merging two existing lists, I
      > > believe that the best thing to do is to accept Hebrew posts here, in the
      > > hope that enough of the list's subscribers will be able to read and answer
      > > them.
      > >
      > > BTW: for the beneefit of pine/mutt/vm/nmh/pms users please avoid using
      > > UTF-8 encoded messages. Rather, use ISO-8859-8-i (note the "-i". This is
      > > "Hebrew ISO (Logical)" in MS-Windows speak) or the similar windows-1255
      > > ("hebrew" or"windows hebrew" in MS-Windows speak), because UTF-8 is not
      > > supported by enough terminals.
      >
      > what about HTML emails ? i personally have been avoiding them until now
      > since i
      > thought that linux users might have trouble with the window-x encodings.

      The usage of HTML for mail messages is generally a plain waste of
      bandwidth and mailbox space, IMHO. But it has nothing to do with the issue
      of character sets.

      This messsage (written using an old pine 3.95, BTW) is a plain text
      message. It has among its headers the headers:

      This means that this message is pure ASCII (that is: no "high-bit"
      chaaracters, such as hebrew 8bit charatrers) were used.

      Had I used some hebrew characters, pine would have set the encoding to
      something different. e.g.:

      ("Quoted Printable" is a method for translating possibly unprintable
      characters to printable characters, by replacing the character with '=mn'
      where 'mn' are the two hexadecimal digits that are the code of this
      character. For instance, a space is '=20' and the word
      ðñéåï
      from a previous test message was encoded as:
      =F0=F1=E9=E5=EF
      I hope pine is now quoting all of those characters correctly!))

      Anyway, the thing is that even plain text mail messages can have an
      encoding.

    • amir abiri
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2001

        --
        for task in $(< /etc/current_workplace/tasks); do
        find_someone_to_do_it $task > /dev/amir 2>&1; done