Re: [gnubies-il] New poll for gnubies-il

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2001
      On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

      > On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Shahar Dag wrote:
      >
      > > Hi
      > >
      > > I don't want to become a yahoo member just to vote this poll. can we find
      > > another voting method?
      >
      > Well, if anyone else wishes to make this formal, send me a message with
      > the subject "POLL-HEBREW":
      > mailto:tzafrir@technion,ac,il?subject=POLL-HEBREW
      >
      > and write in the body either:
      >
      > - yes
      > - new, subscribe
      > - new, no subscribe
      > - no

      So far there have been only around 6 vetes (both in egroups amd in my
      mailbox). The count of them is:

      yes: 3
      no: 3

      Besides the fact that there is no conclusive result, it also seems that
      most of the list's subscribers don't really care much about this.

      Since setting a new list is much easier than merging two existing lists, I
      believe that the best thing to do is to accept Hebrew posts here, in the
      hope that enough of the list's subscribers will be able to read and answer
      them.

      BTW: for the nemefit of pine/mutt/vm/nmh/pms users please avoid using
      UTF-8 encoded messages. Rather, use ISO-8859-8-i (note the "-i". This is
      "Hebrew ISO (Logical)" in MS-Windows speak) or the similar windows-1255
      ("hebrew" or "windows hebrew" in MS-Windows speak), because UTF-8 is not
      supported by enough terminals.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2001
        On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, amir abiri wrote:

        > > On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
        > >

        > > Besides the fact that there is no conclusive result, it also seems that
        > > most of the list's subscribers don't really care much about this.
        > >
        > > Since setting a new list is much easier than merging two existing lists, I
        > > believe that the best thing to do is to accept Hebrew posts here, in the
        > > hope that enough of the list's subscribers will be able to read and answer
        > > them.
        > >
        > > BTW: for the beneefit of pine/mutt/vm/nmh/pms users please avoid using
        > > UTF-8 encoded messages. Rather, use ISO-8859-8-i (note the "-i". This is
        > > "Hebrew ISO (Logical)" in MS-Windows speak) or the similar windows-1255
        > > ("hebrew" or"windows hebrew" in MS-Windows speak), because UTF-8 is not
        > > supported by enough terminals.
        >
        > what about HTML emails ? i personally have been avoiding them until now
        > since i
        > thought that linux users might have trouble with the window-x encodings.

        The usage of HTML for mail messages is generally a plain waste of
        bandwidth and mailbox space, IMHO. But it has nothing to do with the issue
        of character sets.

        This messsage (written using an old pine 3.95, BTW) is a plain text
        message. It has among its headers the headers:

        This means that this message is pure ASCII (that is: no "high-bit"
        chaaracters, such as hebrew 8bit charatrers) were used.

        Had I used some hebrew characters, pine would have set the encoding to
        something different. e.g.:

        ("Quoted Printable" is a method for translating possibly unprintable
        characters to printable characters, by replacing the character with '=mn'
        where 'mn' are the two hexadecimal digits that are the code of this
        character. For instance, a space is '=20' and the word
        ðñéåï
        from a previous test message was encoded as:
        =F0=F1=E9=E5=EF
        I hope pine is now quoting all of those characters correctly!))

        Anyway, the thing is that even plain text mail messages can have an
        encoding.

      • amir abiri
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15, 2001

          --
          for task in $(< /etc/current_workplace/tasks); do
          find_someone_to_do_it $task > /dev/amir 2>&1; done