Controlling printer queues

  • Noamn
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2006
      I manage a Linux machine at work, running RH 7.3 as a server only (ie no
      GUI). The machine was set up very thoroughly before being passed to me,
      including a command menu from which I do most of the administration. Despite
      this menu, I have discovered a few areas in which I would prefer more
      control, especially in the area of printing.

      Most of our print jobs are sent to a print queue called 'pr2' and the 'lpq'
      command lists all the jobs in the print queue. I know how to remove jobs
      manually, and I've just learnt how to change the order of printing (using
      'hold' and 'remove').

      My question: is there any way of automatically deleting jobs whose size is a
      certain value (71 bytes)?

      TIA,
      No'am
    • Oded Arbel
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2006
        On Friday, 5 בMay 2006 11:27, Noamn wrote:
        > I manage a Linux machine at work, running RH 7.3 as a server only (ie
        > no GUI). The machine was set up very thoroughly before being passed
        > to me, including a command menu from which I do most of the
        > administration. Despite this menu, I have discovered a few areas in
        > which I would prefer more control, especially in the area of
        > printing.
        >
        > Most of our print jobs are sent to a print queue called 'pr2' and the
        > 'lpq' command lists all the jobs in the print queue. I know how to
        > remove jobs manually, and I've just learnt how to change the order of
        > printing (using 'hold' and 'remove').
        >
        > My question: is there any way of automatically deleting jobs whose
        > size is a certain value (71 bytes)?

        I don't use LPR myself (its almost as outdated as RedHat 7.3 - a 5 year
        old operating system, older then Windows XP), but I'm thinking that if
        you can get lpq to show the size of the job, it should be fairly easy
        to whip up a script that uses lpq to pick jobs of the required size and
        run 'remove' on them. then stick the script in cron and stop
        worrying ;-)

        --
        Oded

        ::..
        99% of the people are idiots, and the rest are in danger of getting
        infected.
        -- Chris Carter

        --
        Oded

        ::..
        "Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"
        -- H. M. Warner (1881-1958), founder of Warner Brothers, in 1927
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2006
          On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 10:27:49AM +0200, Noamn wrote:
          > I manage a Linux machine at work, running RH 7.3 as a server only (ie no
          > GUI). The machine was set up very thoroughly before being passed to me,
          > including a command menu from which I do most of the administration. Despite
          > this menu, I have discovered a few areas in which I would prefer more
          > control, especially in the area of printing.
          >
          > Most of our print jobs are sent to a print queue called 'pr2' and the 'lpq'
          > command lists all the jobs in the print queue. I know how to remove jobs
          > manually, and I've just learnt how to change the order of printing (using
          > 'hold' and 'remove').
          >
          > My question: is there any way of automatically deleting jobs whose size is a
          > certain value (71 bytes)?

          Print jobs are probably passed through some filter before they get
          printed. Find the right spot in that filter, and the job will never get
          into the spool.

          Do you use cups or lprng?

          -- Tzafrir