sbin/init and /dev/initctl problem

  • adi a
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2006
      Hi,

      I'm trying to boot a Debian 2.6.15.4 but I have problems with /sbin/init.
      when calling it from linuxrc script I get the following error:
      init timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
      vfs: cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block (0,131)
      please append a correct "root=" boot option
      kernel panic..
      It happens after it succeeds to do chroot to the real root partition (/dev/sda2).

      If I execute /bin/sh instead of /sbin/init (from linuxrc script) then I can see the chroot succeeded and that /dev/initctl exists with the needed permissions.
      Does anyone have any suggestions?

      Thanks is advance
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6 4:27 PM
        On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 03:29:46PM +0300, adi a wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm trying to boot a Debian 2.6.15.4 but I have problems with /sbin/init.
        > when calling it from linuxrc script I get the following error:
        > init timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
        > vfs: cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block (0,131)
        > please append a correct "root=" boot option
        > kernel panic..
        > It happens after it succeeds to do chroot to the real root partition
        > (/dev/sda2).
        >
        > If I execute /bin/sh instead of /sbin/init (from linuxrc script) then I can
        > see the chroot succeeded and that /dev/initctl exists with the needed
        > permissions.
        > Does anyone have any suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks is advance

        How exactly did you build and install the kernel? manually? using
        make-kpkg?

        If you can boot the system from another kernel (or from a rescue disk
        and chroot to the original system) try running something like:

        mkinitrd -0 /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15.4 2.6.15.4
        update-grub

        -- Tzafrir