RE: [gnubies-il] mandriva 2006

  • adb
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 26, 2006
      Ok.
      I think this just made the leap to frustrating.....
      I tried a THIRD eth card.
      This time, after the restart, the X doesn’t load!
      It crashes for an unknow reason, and I don’t know where the logs are... But he, guess what, now I have network!
      Thanks huh?!
      I can get an ip from the dhcp and ping with it and all....
      But no x...
      I don’t even know how to run an ftp without x....
      Im gonna look 4 answers... I had to get it off my chest....

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
        On Monday, 27 בMarch 2006 02:52, adb wrote:
        > Ok.
        > I think this just made the leap to frustrating.....
        > I tried a THIRD eth card.
        > This time, after the restart, the X doesnג€™t load!
        > It crashes for an unknow reason, and I donג€™t know where the logs
        > are... But he, guess what, now I have network! Thanks huh?!
        > I can get an ip from the dhcp and ping with it and all....
        > But no x...
        > I donג€™t even know how to run an ftp without x....
        > Im gonna look 4 answers... I had to get it off my chest....

        That's cool.

        Some pointers for X:
        you might want to run drakx11 again (from the console - it has a useful
        text mode) and get it to reconfigure your system.
        Then you probably want to run just X standalone - from the text login,
        run the command X. you should get a blue graphic screen with an X
        cursor or a beam cursor and nothing else. If you do then X works and if
        you still have problems then they are elsewhere. To get out of the
        empty X screen just zap the X server with CTRL-ALT-Backspace.
        If you didn't get the X screen, then X will spew lots of message on your
        console which will help you figure it out.

        Also, if your X breaks when trying to display the login screen, then you
        might want to try to see if replacing the login manager works - make
        sure you have both kdm, mdkkdm and gdm installed (urpmi if you don't)
        and then run drakedm and choose something other then what is currently
        selected, OK it and then restart the dm service using 'service dm
        restart'.

        If X crashes after login, then try to login to a different graphical
        environment - icewm should be there by default and you can try if it
        works, or you can install gnome and try that.

        --
        Oded

        ::..
        "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
        -- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
      • Simon Yakov
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
          btw:
          1. when the X crashes, you can see the log in /var/log/X.log
          2. If you get a msg like "No screens/card found" it probably means that is X is missconfigured, my advices in this case are KEDIKLAMAN:
          a. looking for file like xorg.conf.old. xorg.bak unde the X configuration dir: /etc/X11, switching the files (xorg.conf with xorg.conf.old) may resovlv the problem
          b. run some livecd dist. and just copy it's xorg.conf fileto your /etc/X11 dir
          c. rename your xorg.conf file and run X again - it should try to buikd the settings alone
          d. You should have a command called x86configure, xconfig, Xconfig witch  display a reconfigation script and buid a new  xorg.conf for  your X server

          On 3/27/06, Oded Arbel <oded-gnubies@...> wrote:
          On Monday, 27 בMarch 2006 02:52, adb wrote:
          > Ok.
          > I think this just made the leap to frustrating.....
          > I tried a THIRD eth card.
          > This time, after the restart, the X doesnג€™t load!
          > It crashes for an unknow reason, and I donג€™t know where the logs
          > are... But he, guess what, now I have network! Thanks huh?!
          > I can get an ip from the dhcp and ping with it and all....
          > But no x...
          > I donג€™t even know how to run an ftp without x....
          > Im gonna look 4 answers... I had to get it off my chest....

          That's cool.

          Some pointers for X:
          you might want to run drakx11 again (from the console - it has a useful
          text mode) and get it to reconfigure your system.
          Then you probably want to run just X standalone - from the text login,
          run the command X. you should get a blue graphic screen with an X
          cursor or a beam cursor and nothing else. If you do then X works and if
          you still have problems then they are elsewhere. To get out of the
          empty X screen just zap the X server with CTRL-ALT-Backspace.
          If you didn't get the X screen, then X will spew lots of message on your
          console which will help you figure it out.

          Also, if your X breaks when trying to display the login screen, then you
          might want to try to see if replacing the login manager works - make
          sure you have both kdm, mdkkdm and gdm installed (urpmi if you don't)
          and then run drakedm and choose something other then what is currently
          selected, OK it and then restart the dm service using 'service dm
          restart'.

          If X crashes after login, then try to login to a different graphical
          environment - icewm should be there by default and you can try if it
          works, or you can install gnome and try that.

          --
          Oded

          ::..
          "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
                  -- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

          Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          //
          // Simon Yakov
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
            Ok...
            The system cant find any screens????

            The boot.log reads acon: failed
            And there it ends..

            When I do startx, I get an error in Xorg, that I must have at least one device installed...[that’s through root]
            Then I tried the same in another user, I dpnt get an error, and for a sec I thought it's gonna load, but then it showed two "colorful" screens at botton of the screen [don’t know how to explain - pic attached], and the computer doesn’t budge. Not even to a different terminal...
            I tried to change the dm, still the same in both, and I also tried doing a TEST using drakx11, and that works fine!
            So WTF?!!?!!

            HELP ME!!!! Please? Thank you!

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 29, 2006
                On Monday, 27 בMarch 2006 13:46, adb wrote:
                > Oops.... Heres the pic

                Shiny ! :-)
                That's really bad - your graphics card is seriously mis-configured. What
                graphics card do you have ? try to run drakx11 and select a more
                conservative setting - maybe 800x600x16bpp, with a standard 60Hz
                display ? try to make that work, and it it does then try slowly setting
                larger values.

                > Ok...
                > The system cant find any screens????

                Definitely mis-configured: I doubt you can even get the shiny screenshot
                you attached when no screens are found.

                > The boot.log reads acon: failed
                > And there it ends..

                failed... what ?

                --
                Oded

                ::..
                I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.