Re: [gnubies-il] mandriva 2006

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 22, 2006
      On Wednesday 22 March 2006 11:51, adb wrote:
      > hey there...
      > kynda new to this mailing list, so HELLO!
      >
      > I seem to be having a problem with connecting Mandriva 2006 [free] to
      > any kind of network interface [havent tried wifi yet]..
      >
      > i'm trying to the graphical interface [i don't know the commands to do
      > it] to set up my network, but with no luck - no dhcp, no static... just
      > cant get a response..

      Hi abr!

      You didn't give enough details about your setup. If you want you can call me
      at 03-6424668 or 054-6232377.

      > anyone... plz??
      > [BTW - how come i cant run 'ifconfig', or a lot others for that matter?]
      > thnx!

      You probably need to run "/sbin/ifconfig". /sbin isn't normally in the path of
      a regular user. If you "su" into root then you would be able to run ifconfig.
      If not - it's a problem with your installation.

      Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

      bottom 5%.
    • Simon Yakov
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 22, 2006
        > anyone... plz??
        > [BTW - how come i cant run 'ifconfig', or a lot others for that matter?]
        > thnx!

        You probably need to run "/sbin/ifconfig". /sbin isn't normally in the path of
        a regular user. If you "su" into root then you would be able to run ifconfig.
        If not - it's a problem with your installation.

        Acctually you need to "su -" (In ortder to apply the roots $PATH, wich includes the /sbin dir)
        and BTW
        I should say HELLO as well ;)

        Shlomi Fish      shlomif@...
        Homepage:        http://www.shlomifish.org/

        bottom 5%.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 22, 2006
          On Wednesday 22 March 2006 15:01, Simon Yakov wrote:
          > > anyone... plz??
          > > [BTW - how come i cant run 'ifconfig', or a lot others for that matter?]
          > > thnx!
          >
          > You probably need to run "/sbin/ifconfig". /sbin isn't normally in the path
          > of
          > a regular user. If you "su" into root then you would be able to run
          > ifconfig.
          > If not - it's a problem with your installation.
          >
          > Acctually you need to "su -" (In ortder to apply the roots $PATH, wich
          > includes the /sbin dir)

          The "-" after the su is not necessary in this case. See:

          <<<<<<<<
          shlomi:~$ su
          Password:
          [root@localhost shlomi]# ifconfig
          eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0A:CD:0D:D6:AE
          .
          .
          .

          Works on Mandriva 2006.

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 22, 2006
            It isn't allways that way. I've checked that before posting the mail:
            [Simone@starus ~]$ ifconfig
            bash: ifconfig: command not found
            [Simone@starus ~]$ su
            Password:
            [root@starus Simone]# ifconfig
            bash: ifconfig: command not found
            [root@starus Simone]# su -
            [root@starus ~]# ifconfig
            eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:2F:63:0B:3F

            (My system is FC5)

            Shlomi Fish       shlomif@...
            Homepage:        http://www.shlomifish.org/

            bottom 5%.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Oded Arbel
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 22, 2006
              On Wednesday, 22 בMarch 2006 11:51, adb wrote:
              > hey there...
              > kynda new to this mailing list, so HELLO!
              >
              > I seem to be having a problem with connecting Mandriva 2006 [free] to
              > any kind of network interface [havent tried wifi yet]..
              >
              > i'm trying to the graphical interface [i don't know the commands to
              > do it] to set up my network, but with no luck - no dhcp, no static...
              > just cant get a response..

              What are you trying to connect to ? Supposedly you have another computer
              on your local network (both connected to the same switch, hub or
              router). Go to that computer and check what IP it has (for example, in
              Windows by right clicking the connection icon in the system tray,
              clicking "Status" and then "support" in the tabbed dialog.
              Note both the IP Address and network mask (probably something like
              255.255.255.0).
              Then start the Mandriva network connection wizard by starting "Configure
              your computer" from the start menu -> System -> Configuration, then
              choose the "network" area and "add a network connection". In the
              wizard, choose static connection, and type in a similar IP to the one
              you took from the other computer - for example, if the other computer
              is 192.168.0.2, then assign 192.168.0.3 to the Mandriva. Fill in the
              network mask (also called netmask) to be the same as you got from the
              other computer. Then complete the wizard and let it restart your
              network.

              After you do that, start a console (for example, by using the start menu
              -> System -> Terminals -> Terminal Emulator) and try to ping the other
              computer by running:
              ping 192.168.0.2
              (that is for my example IP - use your other computer's correct IP). If
              that doesn't work then the first thing to make sure is that all the
              network cables are connected properly: There should be a "cable
              connected" icon on your system tray in the Mandriva, and it will show a
              large red X sign if its not connected.

              If you know that you have DHCP on your network (for example, a lot of
              home routers have DHCP enabled), then you can choose DHCP in the
              connection wizard, and it will attempt to retrieve an IP address from
              DHCP.

              To check that you have a correct IP (whether you configured a static IP
              or a DHCP address), in the Mandriva control center ("configure your
              computer"0, under network, start "reconfigure a network interface" and
              in the dialog that opens make sure that your eth0 device is selected in
              the pull down menu. Then your IP address (or lack thereof) will be
              listed in the IP box.

              --
              Oded

              ::..
              A cat has claws ending its paws. A sentence has a pause ending its
              clause.
            • adb
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 22, 2006
                Ok...
                The thing is...
                If I choose DHCP[while I am connected to a router - with a DHCP server
                applied], I cant pull an address, nor can I see the client in the router's
                interface.
                When I try to take a legit static IP, I can ping myself, but nothing outside
                [ including the router ], and again - I cant see the client in the routers
                interface..
                I've tried "ifup eth0", and after a while - its reading 'failed'...
                I do get a link light on - on my eth card, so I assume the card is ok [I
                don’t know any way to test it in linux]
                I don’t see any icon in the taskbar indicating any kind of cable connection,
                niether connected, nor disconnected...

                I see I can run ifconfig from root, and I make out much of it [there's no IP
                address in there, and I see a lot of sent[TX] packets, and none
                received[RX], and many collisions... It does say "inet6 addr:
                fe80::201:2ff:fe9e:34a1/64" .... And that part - I don't really know what it
                means....

                ??????

                On Wednesday, 22 בMarch 2006 11:51, adb wrote:
                > hey there...
                > kynda new to this mailing list, so HELLO!
                >
                > I seem to be having a problem with connecting Mandriva 2006 [free] to
                > any kind of network interface [havent tried wifi yet]..
                >
                > i'm trying to the graphical interface [i don't know the commands to do
                > it] to set up my network, but with no luck - no dhcp, no static...
                > just cant get a response..

                What are you trying to connect to ? Supposedly you have another computer on
                your local network (both connected to the same switch, hub or router). Go to
                that computer and check what IP it has (for example, in Windows by right
                clicking the connection icon in the system tray, clicking "Status" and then
                "support" in the tabbed dialog.
                Note both the IP Address and network mask (probably something like
                255.255.255.0).
                Then start the Mandriva network connection wizard by starting "Configure
                your computer" from the start menu -> System -> Configuration, then choose
                the "network" area and "add a network connection". In the wizard, choose
                static connection, and type in a similar IP to the one you took from the
                other computer - for example, if the other computer is 192.168.0.2, then
                assign 192.168.0.3 to the Mandriva. Fill in the network mask (also called
                netmask) to be the same as you got from the other computer. Then complete
                the wizard and let it restart your network.

                After you do that, start a console (for example, by using the start menu
                -> System -> Terminals -> Terminal Emulator) and try to ping the other
                computer by running:
                ping 192.168.0.2
                (that is for my example IP - use your other computer's correct IP). If that
                doesn't work then the first thing to make sure is that all the network
                cables are connected properly: There should be a "cable connected" icon on
                your system tray in the Mandriva, and it will show a large red X sign if its
                not connected.

                If you know that you have DHCP on your network (for example, a lot of home
                routers have DHCP enabled), then you can choose DHCP in the connection
                wizard, and it will attempt to retrieve an IP address from DHCP.

                To check that you have a correct IP (whether you configured a static IP or a
                DHCP address), in the Mandriva control center ("configure your computer"0,
                under network, start "reconfigure a network interface" and in the dialog
                that opens make sure that your eth0 device is selected in the pull down
                menu. Then your IP address (or lack thereof) will be listed in the IP box.

                --
                Oded

                ::..
                A cat has claws ending its paws. A sentence has a pause ending its clause.

                http://www.eset.com
              • Oded Arbel
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 23, 2006
                  On Thursday, 23 בMarch 2006 00:40, adb wrote:
                  > When I try to take a legit static IP, I can ping myself, but nothing
                  > outside [ including the router ], and again - I cant see the client
                  > in the routers interface..

                  That seems to indicate a problem with the network cable, or a
                  misconfiguration of the network's IP or mask.

                  > I've tried "ifup eth0", and after a while - its reading 'failed'...

                  Don't use ifup directly, it messes with the system.

                  > I do get a link light on - on my eth card, so I assume the card is ok
                  > [I don’t know any way to test it in linux]

                  check the the module for the card is loaded:
                  - run lcpcidrake - locate at the right column the name of your card, and
                  the left column should list the module name for that card.
                  - now run lsmod and look for that module name.
                  The mandriva network connection wizard should have taken care to load
                  the module and list it in the module configuration, so I would be
                  extremely surprised if it is not loaded.
                  Also run ifplugstatus and make sure the entry for eth0 says "link beat
                  detected".

                  > I don’t see any icon in the taskbar indicating any kind of cable
                  > connection, niether connected, nor disconnected...

                  It should be there if you installed mandriva 2006 with default settings
                  and ran the mandriva network connection wizard to setup the network
                  connection (instead of trying to setup the script by hand, for
                  example).
                  The applet is called net_applet, and you might want to run it manually
                  if its not there (from the "run command" menu, not from the console).
                  It has some useful features, such as launching the network monitor
                  directly by right clicking it and choosing "monitor network". You also
                  might want to check that "Always launch on startup" is checked under
                  the settings sub-menu.

                  > I see I can run ifconfig from root, and I make out much of it
                  > [there's no IP address in there, and I see a lot of sent[TX] packets,
                  > and none received[RX], and many collisions... It does say "inet6
                  > addr: fe80::201:2ff:fe9e:34a1/64" .... And that part - I don't really
                  > know what it means....

                  Its the zero-conf link local IPv6 address. It doesn't matter what it
                  really means, but look it up on the internet if you feel like it, and
                  basically is says that your computer failed to get a valid IP address.

                  Here is one more thing to try - start the network connection wizard
                  again, and as you go through the steps, after you choose "automatic IP"
                  for DHCP and click next, on the next screen where you are asked to
                  provide the "DHCP host name", click on "Advanced" and from the DHCP
                  client pull down menu choose "dhcpxd", and complete the rest of the
                  wizard normally. You should be prompted to insert a Mandriva CD (number
                  2, IIRC but don't take my word for it) to complete the installation.
                  This might do the job as dhcpxd is better then dhclient in some
                  situations.

                  If this doesn't work, then I'll need more information in order to help
                  you - do this:
                  - start a terminal, and change to root ("su -", yes - with the dash
                  sign. its sometimes important and you should always use it unless you
                  know for a fact that you shouldn't. it will setup the environment of
                  the user that you changed to properly, and if omitted some things that
                  you expect to work will not).
                  - run "dhclient eth0" and send email to the list with all the output of
                  that command.

                  --
                  Oded

                  ::..
                  Why Linus Torvalds moved to Silicon Valley: It's the cheese!
                • adb
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 23, 2006
                    Ok... Here's whats up...

                    Lcpcidrake - I don't have that command, and I have no idea what pkg I need in order to have it...
                    after that, I tried ifplugstatus > and I had a link beat

                    I ran the net_applet > and its showing no connection...

                    Tried switching to dhcpxd > still no go... And when I do
                    dhclient eth0 > it read: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.0 port 67 interval XX
                    And after a few lines, it fell asleep...

                    Now, I had to restart the computer since it got messed up and somehow stoped responding... And now what I have is that I don’t have the eth0 up, and I cant bring it up, not even with ifup, when is do lspci > I can see its showing as an ethernet controller : unknown device.....
                    My best guess was that something might be wrong with the adapter, and so I turned to try a wifi connection at least until I have an altarnate adapter[unless u guys think I'm wrong]... I have a trendnet TEW-424UB usb wifi adapter[running on a sis163 chipset], and I tried working that, once with the sis windows drivers and ndiswrapper> which got me to a msg reading 'incompatible arcitecture', and I cant find a way to force it... So after some searching I found a zd1211 driver that should work, and I can compile it... I'm sure I don’t know how btw.... I found I have to go into the dir and do 'make install', only than, after a few output lines, I get '*** /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdk/build: no such file or directory: stop'... And I'm guessing u know how well that went..

                    I'm gonna try some SH*T, but I'd love any advice...
                    [BTW, thanks for the call Shlomi...]

                    Thanks..

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 23, 2006
                      On Thursday, 23 בMarch 2006 15:01, adb wrote:
                      > Ok... Here's whats up...
                      >
                      > Lcpcidrake - I don't have that command, and I have no idea what pkg I
                      > need in order to have it...

                      sorry, that's lspcidrake (ls not lc). my bad.

                      > I ran the net_applet > and its showing no connection...

                      That's good - it means you have visual feedback :-)

                      > Tried switching to dhcpxd > still no go... And when I do
                      > dhclient eth0 > it read: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.0 port
                      > 67 interval XX And after a few lines, it fell asleep...

                      That means we don't have access to the network for some reason.

                      > eth0 up, and I cant bring it up, not even with ifup,

                      as I've said - don't use ifup. it would only work if your connection is
                      configured properly anyway, and it will put your system in an undefined
                      state where the scripts don't know that the network is up and will fail
                      when they try to bring the network to a stable state.

                      at mist try to use ifconfig eth0 up, and you have to know the correct
                      syntax for all the options.

                      > when is do lspci
                      > > I can see its showing as an ethernet controller : unknown
                      > device.....

                      What network card do you have ? try to run harddrake to detect it.

                      > My best guess was that something might be wrong with the
                      > adapter, and so I turned to try a wifi connection at least until I
                      > have an altarnate adapter[unless u guys think I'm wrong]...

                      Need more info. Generally I wouldn't count on WiFi to work better then a
                      normal card. specifically most wifi adapters aren't supported or aren't
                      supported well on Linux.

                      > I have a
                      > trendnet TEW-424UB usb wifi adapter[running on a sis163 chipset], and
                      > I tried working that, once with the sis windows drivers and
                      > ndiswrapper> which got me to a msg reading 'incompatible
                      > arcitecture', and I cant find a way to force it...

                      I'm not even going to get into the whole wifi thing. I never gotten a
                      wifi adapter to work on my laptop, and I never gotten an adapter to
                      work with ndiswrapper ever.

                      > So after some
                      > searching I found a zd1211 driver that should work, and I can compile
                      > it... I'm sure I donג€™t know how btw.... I found I have to go into
                      > the dir and do 'make install', only than, after a few output lines, I
                      > get '*** /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdk/build: no such file or directory:
                      > stop'... And I'm guessing u know how well that went..

                      You want to have the package kernel-source-2.6 installed, and you want
                      to know a lot about compiling drivers for the kernel and I can't tell
                      you everything in an email. I suggest you read a lot of kernel
                      compiling howtos and try to compile the kernel yourself a few times,
                      before starting with unsupported 3rd party drivers.

                      --
                      Oded

                      ::..
                      "...[T]he lesson [comic books] taught children- or this child, at any
                      rate- was perhaps the unintentionally radical truth that exceptionality
                      was the greatest and most heroic of values; that those who were unlike
                      the crowd were to be treasured the most lovingly; and that this
                      exceptionality was a treasure so great that it had to be concealed, in
                      ordinary life, beneath what the comic books called a 'secret
                      identity'."
                      -- Salman Rushdie
                    • adb
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 23, 2006
                        Alllllllllrighty..

                        I tried harddrake start [I had to go in /etc/init.d], and all I got was 'checking for new hardware... [ OK ]'
                        And now I still cant see eth0 in ifconfig, but if I do ifplugstatus - I get another device called sit0.. What is this?
                        Anyway, I tried connecting a different card, without removing the old one - which is a 3com adapter, and after the reset, I don’t see anything good in lspci, except that old "unknown device", and nothing new there..
                        I also tried using the gui hardware detection thingy, and it does show one [and only 1] 'null' under Ethernetcard, but I cant do anything with it.... BTW - I also see the usb wifi adapter that's still connected, but its also kinda worthless......
                        What what what????!?
                        [I hope I'm not opposing to much...]

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 23, 2006
                          The time I've used Shmendrake was a quite long time ago :)
                           yet, try running
                          # gmesg | grep eth[0-9]
                          so you'll see the boot log related to the eth interfaces
                          (BTW, if the machine is running for a few days and you don't see anything  when you run the command - restart the box)
                          another good idea is to run "ifconfig -a"

                          Is there still MCC command? (try #mcc ) Mandr[ake/riva] Control Center

                          SIt -
                          IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnel.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 24, 2006
                            On Friday, 24 בMarch 2006 02:09, adb wrote:
                            > Alllllllllrighty..
                            >
                            > I tried harddrake start [I had to go in /etc/init.d], and all I got
                            > was 'checking for new hardware... [ OK ]'

                            I meant - the program, not the service. just ran 'harddrake' (or
                            'harddrake2' ?)

                            > And now I still cant see
                            > eth0 in ifconfig, but if I do ifplugstatus - I get another device
                            > called sit0.. > What is this?

                            IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel. comes builtin in linux. ignore it, it has no
                            relevance to your problem.

                            > Anyway, I tried connecting a different
                            > card, without removing the old one - which is a 3com adapter, and
                            > after the reset, I donג€™t see anything good in lspci, except that
                            > old "unknown device", and nothing new there.. I also tried using the
                            > gui hardware detection thingy, and it does show one [and only 1]
                            > 'null' under Ethernetcard, but I cant do anything with it.... BTW - I

                            On the face of it it sounds like your system has hardware problems. try
                            to disconnect everything you can (including the USB wireless and the
                            "broken" NIC) and attach only the "new" NIC. see if harddrake (the "gui
                            hardware detection thingy") can see it.

                            > also see the usb wifi adapter that's still connected, but its also
                            > kinda worthless...... What what what????!?

                            Like I said - wireless connectivity in linux is a problem and for that
                            to work you need specific wireless cards that are known to work with
                            Linux - not any device of the shelf will work. USB wireless adapter I
                            won't expect to work at all.

                            --
                            Oded

                            ::..
                            "It is one of the superstitions of the human mind to have imagined that
                            virginity could be a virtue."
                            -- Voltaire
                          • adb
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 26, 2006
                              Ok.
                              I think this just made the leap to frustrating.....
                              I tried a THIRD eth card.
                              This time, after the restart, the X doesn’t load!
                              It crashes for an unknow reason, and I don’t know where the logs are... But he, guess what, now I have network!
                              Thanks huh?!
                              I can get an ip from the dhcp and ping with it and all....
                              But no x...
                              I don’t even know how to run an ftp without x....
                              Im gonna look 4 answers... I had to get it off my chest....

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
                                On Monday, 27 בMarch 2006 02:52, adb wrote:
                                > Ok.
                                > I think this just made the leap to frustrating.....
                                > I tried a THIRD eth card.
                                > This time, after the restart, the X doesnג€™t load!
                                > It crashes for an unknow reason, and I donג€™t know where the logs
                                > are... But he, guess what, now I have network! Thanks huh?!
                                > I can get an ip from the dhcp and ping with it and all....
                                > But no x...
                                > I donג€™t even know how to run an ftp without x....
                                > Im gonna look 4 answers... I had to get it off my chest....

                                That's cool.

                                Some pointers for X:
                                you might want to run drakx11 again (from the console - it has a useful
                                text mode) and get it to reconfigure your system.
                                Then you probably want to run just X standalone - from the text login,
                                run the command X. you should get a blue graphic screen with an X
                                cursor or a beam cursor and nothing else. If you do then X works and if
                                you still have problems then they are elsewhere. To get out of the
                                empty X screen just zap the X server with CTRL-ALT-Backspace.
                                If you didn't get the X screen, then X will spew lots of message on your
                                console which will help you figure it out.

                                Also, if your X breaks when trying to display the login screen, then you
                                might want to try to see if replacing the login manager works - make
                                sure you have both kdm, mdkkdm and gdm installed (urpmi if you don't)
                                and then run drakedm and choose something other then what is currently
                                selected, OK it and then restart the dm service using 'service dm
                                restart'.

                                If X crashes after login, then try to login to a different graphical
                                environment - icewm should be there by default and you can try if it
                                works, or you can install gnome and try that.

                                --
                                Oded

                                ::..
                                "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
                                -- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
                              • Simon Yakov
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
                                  btw:
                                  1. when the X crashes, you can see the log in /var/log/X.log
                                  2. If you get a msg like "No screens/card found" it probably means that is X is missconfigured, my advices in this case are KEDIKLAMAN:
                                  a. looking for file like xorg.conf.old. xorg.bak unde the X configuration dir: /etc/X11, switching the files (xorg.conf with xorg.conf.old) may resovlv the problem
                                  b. run some livecd dist. and just copy it's xorg.conf fileto your /etc/X11 dir
                                  c. rename your xorg.conf file and run X again - it should try to buikd the settings alone
                                  d. You should have a command called x86configure, xconfig, Xconfig witch  display a reconfigation script and buid a new  xorg.conf for  your X server

                                  On 3/27/06, Oded Arbel <oded-gnubies@...> wrote:
                                  On Monday, 27 בMarch 2006 02:52, adb wrote:
                                  > Ok.
                                  > I think this just made the leap to frustrating.....
                                  > I tried a THIRD eth card.
                                  > This time, after the restart, the X doesnג€™t load!
                                  > It crashes for an unknow reason, and I donג€™t know where the logs
                                  > are... But he, guess what, now I have network! Thanks huh?!
                                  > I can get an ip from the dhcp and ping with it and all....
                                  > But no x...
                                  > I donג€™t even know how to run an ftp without x....
                                  > Im gonna look 4 answers... I had to get it off my chest....

                                  That's cool.

                                  Some pointers for X:
                                  you might want to run drakx11 again (from the console - it has a useful
                                  text mode) and get it to reconfigure your system.
                                  Then you probably want to run just X standalone - from the text login,
                                  run the command X. you should get a blue graphic screen with an X
                                  cursor or a beam cursor and nothing else. If you do then X works and if
                                  you still have problems then they are elsewhere. To get out of the
                                  empty X screen just zap the X server with CTRL-ALT-Backspace.
                                  If you didn't get the X screen, then X will spew lots of message on your
                                  console which will help you figure it out.

                                  Also, if your X breaks when trying to display the login screen, then you
                                  might want to try to see if replacing the login manager works - make
                                  sure you have both kdm, mdkkdm and gdm installed (urpmi if you don't)
                                  and then run drakedm and choose something other then what is currently
                                  selected, OK it and then restart the dm service using 'service dm
                                  restart'.

                                  If X crashes after login, then try to login to a different graphical
                                  environment - icewm should be there by default and you can try if it
                                  works, or you can install gnome and try that.

                                  --
                                  Oded

                                  ::..
                                  "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
                                          -- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  --
                                  //
                                  // Simon Yakov
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
                                    Ok...
                                    The system cant find any screens????

                                    The boot.log reads acon: failed
                                    And there it ends..

                                    When I do startx, I get an error in Xorg, that I must have at least one device installed...[that’s through root]
                                    Then I tried the same in another user, I dpnt get an error, and for a sec I thought it's gonna load, but then it showed two "colorful" screens at botton of the screen [don’t know how to explain - pic attached], and the computer doesn’t budge. Not even to a different terminal...
                                    I tried to change the dm, still the same in both, and I also tried doing a TEST using drakx11, and that works fine!
                                    So WTF?!!?!!

                                    HELP ME!!!! Please? Thank you!

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 29, 2006
                                        On Monday, 27 בMarch 2006 13:46, adb wrote:
                                        > Oops.... Heres the pic

                                        Shiny ! :-)
                                        That's really bad - your graphics card is seriously mis-configured. What
                                        graphics card do you have ? try to run drakx11 and select a more
                                        conservative setting - maybe 800x600x16bpp, with a standard 60Hz
                                        display ? try to make that work, and it it does then try slowly setting
                                        larger values.

                                        > Ok...
                                        > The system cant find any screens????

                                        Definitely mis-configured: I doubt you can even get the shiny screenshot
                                        you attached when no screens are found.

                                        > The boot.log reads acon: failed
                                        > And there it ends..

                                        failed... what ?

                                        --
                                        Oded

                                        ::..
                                        I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.