Re: [gnubies-il] Re: encoding problem with php-mySQL on linox

  • Oded Arbel
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
      On Tuesday, 28 בFebruary 2006 15:28, duskfish2000 wrote:
      > HI Oded and thank you so much for your reply.
      > I like to give some more information about my issue.
      > My system is based on drupal CMS (drupal.org) and therefore is based
      > on UTF8 encoding. Pages are also automatically encoded with Unicode.
      > 2 other symptoms I noted are -
      > 1. Some time a loaded page displays empty page. A look in the code
      > revile it got it all there but displaying nothing. Changing the
      > encoding in this case to Hebrew (windows) will display the page but
      > with wrong characters.
      > 2. The encoding issue act strange

      I couldn't read that - email does not transfer strange encodings well.

      Most likely you have an issue where the drupal thinks that all its data
      is utf-8,but in your case the hebrew is encoded in windows-1255.

      You need to remember that for english text, utf-8 and any other 7 bit or
      8 bit encoding is exactly the same, so you can have the database store
      the the data in whatever encoding you like, and drupal would still
      display it well.

      Hebrew OTOH is encoded into different code points in windows-1255 and
      utf-8. Unless you're PHP code explicitly converts the encoding before
      display (using mbstring for example), then most likely you wont be able
      to display hebrew properly.

      My suggestion for you is to convert your database to utf-8.

      --
      Oded

      ::..
      The groundhog is like most other prophets; it delivers its message and
      then disappears.