Re: [gnubies-il] Help with installing on an old machine (physical, not merely advice)

  • David Yoffe
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hi,

      My advice to you, find some RAM up to 64/128 and you can install many versions of Linux, Even for P-I.

      zvig99 <zgrauer@...> wrote:
      I have an old machine that I want to install linux on. It is for my
      mother and her live-in helper to keep in touch with me in the US.

      I settled on either Damn Small Linux, Puppy linux or Vector Linux as
      my distro (machine specs require it - 133 MHz Pentium, 1.2 GB HD, 32
      MB RAM)

      The machine would not boot from a CD ROM, and while I brought a floppy
      to Israel, I have neither a floppy drive on my laptop nor a Ethernet
      card on the old computer. In other words, I have no way of copying the
      boot floppy image to the floppy I have with me.

      I am wondering if there are facilities somewhere to connect to the net
      with a laptop or desktop, and download the boot image to the floppy. I
      can do the rest from home (have CD burner on my laptop).

      Also, if anyone has a spare old linux-compatible ethernet card that I
      can buy or schnor, or a recommendation for a place to purchase same.

      I am in central Tel Aviv, near Habimah/Heichal Hatarbut.

      Thanks,

      Z.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/0XFolB/TM

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/