Re: [gnubies-il] Language Shortcut

  • Nigel Ridley
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2005
      Boris Gorelik wrote:
      > Wow, Oded, thank you for your explanation. However there is a puzzle: on my
      > mandriva, I'm able to switch between layouts using Alt-Shift combination, but
      > the "Enable keyboard layouts" box in kcontrol is empty.

      You have to click on the 'Enable keyboard layouts' box to then be able
      to select the keybaord layout that you want (don't forget to click on
      the 'Add' button at the bottom).

      [snip]

      Blessings,

      Nigel

      --
      It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
      --

      I AM Bible Studies and Resources
      http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

      Messianic E-Cards.com
      http://www.messianicecards.com

      OliveRoot Ministries
      http://www.oliveroot.net

      PrayingForIsrael.net
      http://www.prayingforisrael.net
    • Oded Arbel
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2005
        On Friday, 28 בOctober 2005 08:41, Boris Gorelik wrote:
        > Wow, Oded, thank you for your explanation. However there is a puzzle:
        > on my mandriva, I'm able to switch between layouts using Alt-Shift
        > combination

        You of course mean "switch groups" ? as Alt-Shift is the X shortcut to
        switch groups, and X can't switch layouts.

        > , but the "Enable keyboard layouts" box in kcontrol is
        > empty. I do recall that I set the switching option during the
        > installation.

        The enable keyboard layouts is only to start the KDE's keyboard applet
        which allow you to manage keyboard layouts. If indeed you are switching
        layouts, then you probably use a non-KDE method to do that - there are
        keyboard applets for all major desktop envs, and some also work with
        KDE.

        > > Its possible to get finer control over the keyboard layouts and
        > > groups by editing the X11 configuration file directly, but I'm not
        > > going to go into that now.
        >
        > is this related?

        Yes - probably the installation has setup X with the required keyboard
        groups so you don't need to mess around with keyboard layouts.

        IMO keyboard layouts are only useful if you have multiple users on the
        same machine (or actually the same X server setup) and each wants to
        use a different keyboard layout. If this is not the case, then its
        often simpler to just setup a single keyboard layout (often with
        multiple groups) in the X server configuration directly (as I haven't
        discussed above) and use that instead of all these complicated keyboard
        layout switchers.

        --
        Oded

        ::..
        Juall's Law on Nice Guys:
        Nice guys don't always finish last; sometimes they don't finish.
        Sometimes they don't even get a chance to start!