Re: vocalized Hebrew in firefox and openoffice

  • gblaisepublic
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
      --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, Mathias Weyland <mathias@w...>
      wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > I am Matt from Switzerland.

      > I would like to be able to read websites containing vocalized
      Hebrew in
      > firefox and write such text in the openoffice writer (version 1.1
      or 2beta).

      > I managed to set up X11 with a proper keyboard layout, so
      basically writing
      > Hebrew works. But the 'dots' (like dagesh, vowels ect.) are always
      displayed
      > _left_ of the consonant. I made a screenshot of this page [1]
      which is
      > available at [2] to show what I mean.
      >
      > I tried both debian sarge and unstable with the same result, and
      everyone I
      > asked could confirm this strange behaviour of the programs. I
      tried several
      > fonts: Arial, Monospace and even some fonts of the culmus package
      which are
      > specially designed for Hebrew. If I copy the text from firefox to
      the c&p
      > buffer and paste it in xchat, I get proper rendering.
      >
      > I would be very very glad if anyone could explain what I have to
      do to get
      > proper rendering of vocalized Hebrew in openoffice and firefox.
      >
      > Best regards
      >
      > Mathias Weyland
      >
      > [1] http://www.anastesontai.com/b-vocalisee/voc-en.asp
      > [2] http://www.lugs.ch/~hal/broken_hebrew.jpg

      Not sure if this will help your situation, but a fantastic Hebrew
      font (which even includes cantillation marks) is SBL's font.
      You can download the font and a keyboard map free at

      http://www.sbl-site.org/Resources/default.aspx

      I haven't yet tried in on my Linux system, but it works great on my
      Windoze box.

      Gerald
    • Mathias Weyland
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
        On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 02:43:45AM -0000, gblaisepublic wrote:

        > Not sure if this will help your situation, but a fantastic Hebrew
        > font (which even includes cantillation marks) is SBL's font.
        > You can download the font and a keyboard map free at

        Hi

        I've tried that font. The result is better, but it still doesen't look like
        it should. [0]

        I did some additional googling and found [1]. I tried the patch for pango,
        the pango packages available on that site and the experimental version of
        pange where the problem should be fixed. But no success :(. Bug #21 looks
        exactly like my problem, though.

        Furthermore, I tried the patched version of mozilla firefox. Same result :(.
        I really don't know what to do. Is anyone able to see dagesh and nikud
        correctly? If yes, could that person tell me about his distribution and
        special settings he/she made? I'll try to track down the problem then.

        Best regards and thank you for your support

        Mathias Weyland

        [0] http://www.lugs.ch/~hal/broken_hebrew2.jpg
        [1] http://blacksapphire.com/firefox-rtl/
      • Oded Arbel
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
          On Tuesday, 4 בOctober 2005 21:14, Mathias Weyland wrote:
          > Is anyone able to see
          > dagesh and nikud correctly? If yes, could that person tell me about
          > his distribution and special settings he/she made? I'll try to track
          > down the problem then.

          I don't have any problems seeing nikud (diacritics) in the site whose
          screenshot you provided, with Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6:
          http://www.geek.co.il/screenshots/hebrew-bible-ok.png
          Konqueror from KDE 3.4.2 shows the same page without any problems as
          well although the characters are a little more blocky.

          I'm using Mandriva 2006 RC1 without any modifications whatsoever. I
          believe Mandriva 10.2 would work the same.

          --
          Oded

          ::..
          One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.