WIN98 Hebrew file names with smb

  • shimonl
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
      I have set up my PCLinuxOS to see Windows files with Hebrew
      file names, by installing KDE Hebrew support and adding
      uft8 to each fstab entry for a Windows partition.

      Now I am trying to see the files on the other Windows computer,
      running W98SE with file sharing. I accessed it in Konqueror by
      using a URL of smb://a.b.c.d/ (the IP of the other PC), but all
      Hebrew file names are in gibberish.

      In the Konqueror "Tools" menu I get a "Select Remote Charset"
      option when accessing smb, but none of the choices seems to
      have the proper effect. I have tried all three choices labeled
      "Hebrew" and of course Unicode uft8. Is there some other way
      to get this to work?

      Thanks, and Shana tova!
      Shimon
    • Nati CT
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2005
        Googling got me to this old doc: http://iglu.org.il/faq/cache/8.html

        In short, if you are using a up to date version of samba you should try to
        mount using this:

        mount -t smbfs -o
        username=blah,password=blah,codepage=cp862,iocharset=iso8859-8 //win98/c
        /dosc

        any luck?

        Have a gr8 day,
        Nati :)