Re: [gnubies-il] How to get started with Linux

  • Oded Arbel
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 15, 2005
      On Monday, 15 ◊ĎAugust 2005 15:18, Asaf Revach wrote:
      > *What is the difference between a 64bit linux to
      > a 32bit one, will there be any old software that won't run on 64bit
      > linux?

      a 64bit linux will put the computer into "64bit mode" and so will allow
      running of native 64bit. 32bit applications can still be run if you
      have the required 32bit libraries (notably glibc, but also other shared
      libraries).
      Most 64bit enabled linux distros bundle everything so you don't have to
      worry about it.

      > *Is every Linux distrib. potentially Hebrew enabled? Are there
      > distribs that are more comfortrable for Hebrew input?

      Yes. All linux distros use either XFree86 or X.org for a windowing
      system, and both support hebrew natively. Configuring them to allow
      hebrew input and output is not hard, but its still recommended to use
      the disto's configuration tools to do so.
      All major linux distros offer friendly configuration tools to setup
      hebrew input. I personally prefer Mandriva in that respect as it
      graphical and friendly configuration interface which is very easy to
      use. SuSE is also very good in that respect. Fedora not so.

      > *When I'll reinstall Win XP, does it destroy the multi-boot (I intend
      > to run each OS on a seperate sata drive)?

      Yes. It is recommended that you keep around the first installation CD of
      the linux distro you chose, or prepare in advance a boot floppy.
      The rescue mode for Mandriva is very good: after you're new XP messed up
      the dual boot, boot again from the Mandrake 1st CD, in the main screen
      hit F1 and type rescue (as per the instructions on screen), and in the
      menu that comes up, choose - restore boot loader.
      SuSE and Fedora also offer rescue systems on their CD - on SuSE its on
      the same CD as the installation (similar to Mandriva) and Fedora has a
      standalong rescue CD. Both drop you into a minimal live system and you
      have to manage yourself from there.

      > *WillI be able to share network resources (file, printers, etc.)
      > between a Linux and a Windows computer?

      If you have two computers or more live on the network, you can have the
      Linux computer access files and printers on the Windows computer - most
      file managers in Linux offer integrated support for windows sharing
      (called SMB), and the unix printing system (CUPS) allows easy
      connectivity to windows shared printers.
      OTOH you can install the "samba" server on the Linux machine and have it
      serve files and share printers for windows. Configuring file sharing is
      mostly trivial, sharing printers a bit less so but can be done and is
      usually worth the effort as Linux system are usually more stable and
      its less likely that it will be down just when you need to print
      something.
      Also - it might be worth your while to buy a network adapter for your
      printer and just be done with both issues - it doesn't cost much and
      frees you from the need to have a sharing computer that needs to be
      powered on at all times.

      > * With Hebrew & 64 bit considerations, which distrib is the suitable
      > if I'm a newbie to Linux and want an easy start, but intend to be a
      > hard-core user (in sys. admin. and in programming, also to X win)?
      > What book or manual is recommended with it?

      I'd recommend SuSE, though Mandriva is also a good option. If you are
      not into hacking the system into submission from day one, they you
      better stay with one of the major distros, which are SuSE, Fedora and
      Mandriva. If you are a bit more adventurous, I can suggest one of:
      * PC Linux OS - its a live CD system which easily installs onto disk.
      very easy to work with and you can experiment before you commit to
      anything. I don't think they have a 64bit version though.
      * Ubuntu or Kubuntu. A debian based distro with emphasis on ease of use
      - they offer a live CD, but you can't (easily) install from it, so you
      have to choose - live or regular installation. They do offer 64bit
      versions. Take Ubuntu for the latest and greatest, and Kubuntu if you
      prefer the KDE desktop environment (I do, but many people don't).
      * Gentoo - its really a linux for hackers. They now offer easy
      (relatively speaking, of course) installation routines (and even a
      brand spanking new graphical installer like all the rest), but still
      you'd find yourself messing with the system much more then in the other
      distros.

      Good luck. If you need help - you know who to call :-)

      --
      Oded

      ::..
      "Life begins when you can spend your spare time programming instead of
      watching television."
      -- Cal Keegan