Re: [gnubies-il] Programing on linux environment

  • Andrey Shoster
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2005
      Shlomi Ben-Tzvi wrote:

      >hi,
      > i feel like learning to write programs....i'm looking for
      > something not to difficult like vb for linux (fc3) environment
      > does anyone has any direction/sugestion ?
      >thanks

      python, ruby?

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
        On Friday 12 August 2005 00:27, Shlomi Ben-Tzvi wrote:
        > hi,
        > i feel like learning to write programs....i'm looking for
        > something not to difficult like vb for linux (fc3) environment
        > does anyone has any direction/sugestion ?

        Well, congratulations on wanting to learn how to program. People are divided
        between themselves on which languages should be learnt first. Some people
        claim you should start with something low-level and close-to-the-hardware
        like C. Some people claim that you can start with an Agile language
        (Perl/Python/Ruby/etc.), which are useful and yet able to produce fast code.
        Some people claim you should teach Object-Oriented-Programming in the first
        course, and other people think it's not absolutely necessary. Some people
        like Haskell as the first programmers' language, others like Scheme (SICP),
        etc. I even heard of someone who taught students how to program using first
        DOS Batch files and then Assembly.

        I fall into the camp that believes an Agile language would be best at this
        point. You have several choices: Perl, Python, Ruby, etc. I have set up a
        web-site which aims to be the first stop for Perl beginners:

        http://perl-begin.berlios.de/

        I did it because I like Perl and would like to help people who are new to it.
        Other languages may be more suitable as a first programming language than
        Perl, but I don't know. (I've studied programming using BASIC back at 1987,
        and I wouldn't recommend starting with BASIC now.)

        If you want to study Python, there is an online tutorial on www.python.org,
        and plenty of online books on Python. I don't know about Ruby, because I
        don't know it that well, and when I studied it was quite experienced.

        Finally, you should probably read Eric Raymond's "How to become a Hacker"
        Document:

        http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

        Or in its Hebrew Translation:

        http://www.rootshell.be/~eg/faqs/hacker-howto.heb.html

        Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

        Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
        is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
        paragraphs.
      • ratter proof
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
          --- Shlomi Ben-Tzvi <shlomi_bt@...> wrote:

          > hi,
          > i feel like learning to write programs....i'm
          > looking for
          > something not to difficult like vb for linux (fc3)
          > environment
          > does anyone has any direction/sugestion ?
          > thanks

          i found a package "k3" or something. The book i 210 is
          and the package included. A complete and perfect gui
          for c++ code, available both for windows and Linux.
          If you are interested, i'll find the exact name of the
          package and book. Just let me know !

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
            On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 09:27:34PM -0000, Shlomi Ben-Tzvi wrote:
            > hi,
            > i feel like learning to write programs....i'm looking for
            > something not to difficult like vb for linux (fc3) environment
            > does anyone has any direction/sugestion ?
            > thanks

            Kdevelop and Anjuta on KDE/GNOME aim for the IDE. Gambas tried to be a
            visual-basic clone.

            But then again, don't dismiss what Shlomi wrote earlier about
            perl/python/ruby.

            When I want to write a small glue program on linux with just about zero
            logic, I use a shell script (shell scripts are sometimes abused for more
            than that. Mostly on start-up scripts and such).

            When I want to write a slightly larger program, I normally use perl. (My
            personal choice. Not sure I would recommend perl for someone who is not
            familiar to at least one of c/awk/unix).

            --
            Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@... | VIM is
            http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's