Programing on linux environment

  • Shlomi Ben-Tzvi
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2005
      hi,
      i feel like learning to write programs....i'm looking for
      something not to difficult like vb for linux (fc3) environment
      does anyone has any direction/sugestion ?
      thanks
    • Andrey Shoster
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11, 2005
        Shlomi Ben-Tzvi wrote:

        >hi,
        > i feel like learning to write programs....i'm looking for
        > something not to difficult like vb for linux (fc3) environment
        > does anyone has any direction/sugestion ?
        >thanks

        python, ruby?

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
          On Friday 12 August 2005 00:27, Shlomi Ben-Tzvi wrote:
          > hi,
          > i feel like learning to write programs....i'm looking for
          > something not to difficult like vb for linux (fc3) environment
          > does anyone has any direction/sugestion ?

          Well, congratulations on wanting to learn how to program. People are divided
          between themselves on which languages should be learnt first. Some people
          claim you should start with something low-level and close-to-the-hardware
          like C. Some people claim that you can start with an Agile language
          (Perl/Python/Ruby/etc.), which are useful and yet able to produce fast code.
          Some people claim you should teach Object-Oriented-Programming in the first
          course, and other people think it's not absolutely necessary. Some people
          like Haskell as the first programmers' language, others like Scheme (SICP),
          etc. I even heard of someone who taught students how to program using first
          DOS Batch files and then Assembly.

          I fall into the camp that believes an Agile language would be best at this
          point. You have several choices: Perl, Python, Ruby, etc. I have set up a
          web-site which aims to be the first stop for Perl beginners:

          http://perl-begin.berlios.de/

          I did it because I like Perl and would like to help people who are new to it.
          Other languages may be more suitable as a first programming language than
          Perl, but I don't know. (I've studied programming using BASIC back at 1987,
          and I wouldn't recommend starting with BASIC now.)

          If you want to study Python, there is an online tutorial on www.python.org,
          and plenty of online books on Python. I don't know about Ruby, because I
          don't know it that well, and when I studied it was quite experienced.

          Finally, you should probably read Eric Raymond's "How to become a Hacker"
          Document:

          http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

          Or in its Hebrew Translation:

          http://www.rootshell.be/~eg/faqs/hacker-howto.heb.html

          Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

          Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
          is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
          paragraphs.
        • ratter proof
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
            --- Shlomi Ben-Tzvi <shlomi_bt@...> wrote:

            > hi,
            > i feel like learning to write programs....i'm
            > looking for
            > something not to difficult like vb for linux (fc3)
            > environment
            > does anyone has any direction/sugestion ?
            > thanks

            i found a package "k3" or something. The book i 210 is
            and the package included. A complete and perfect gui
            for c++ code, available both for windows and Linux.
            If you are interested, i'll find the exact name of the
            package and book. Just let me know !

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
              On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 09:27:34PM -0000, Shlomi Ben-Tzvi wrote:
              > hi,
              > i feel like learning to write programs....i'm looking for
              > something not to difficult like vb for linux (fc3) environment
              > does anyone has any direction/sugestion ?
              > thanks

              Kdevelop and Anjuta on KDE/GNOME aim for the IDE. Gambas tried to be a
              visual-basic clone.

              But then again, don't dismiss what Shlomi wrote earlier about
              perl/python/ruby.

              When I want to write a small glue program on linux with just about zero
              logic, I use a shell script (shell scripts are sometimes abused for more
              than that. Mostly on start-up scripts and such).

              When I want to write a slightly larger program, I normally use perl. (My
              personal choice. Not sure I would recommend perl for someone who is not
              familiar to at least one of c/awk/unix).

              --
              Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir@... | VIM is
              http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's