Typing in Hebrew?

  • Michael Sappir
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
      Hello. I just set up a little Ubuntu rig here, and I'm practically a
      complete newbie at Linux... I'm trying to figure out how to make it so
      I can type in Hebrew in general, and specifically in X-Chat. I also
      get that weird western-european gibberish instead of Hebrew when
      someone else writes in Hebrew on IRC... So I'd like to know how to
      sort that out. Also if you can reccommend a Hebrew font to use on
      Firefox I'd be much obliged, the default is ugly as hell.
      Thanks in advanced for any help I can get. :)
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2005
        On Thursday 11 August 2005 19:13, Michael Sappir wrote:
        > Hello. I just set up a little Ubuntu rig here, and I'm practically a
        > complete newbie at Linux... I'm trying to figure out how to make it so
        > I can type in Hebrew in general, and specifically in X-Chat.

        You need to consult:

        http://iglu.org.il/faq/cache/56.html

        Note that Ubuntu may have an easier way of doing these things, but I don't
        know what it is. What is described in the FAQ is the most portable and
        distro-independant way of doing it.

        > I also
        > get that weird western-european gibberish instead of Hebrew when
        > someone else writes in Hebrew on IRC... So I'd like to know how to
        > sort that out.

        You probably need to set the character set in that specific network of X-Chat
        to ISO-8859-8. To do that, either do:

        /charset iso-8859-8

        on the IRC command line. Or look at the Character Set entry box in the
        network-editing dialog of X-Chat.

        > Also if you can reccommend a Hebrew font to use on
        > Firefox I'd be much obliged, the default is ugly as hell.

        Try the Culmus fonts.

        http://culmus.sourceforge.net/

        Hope it helps.

        Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

        Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
        is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
        paragraphs.
      • Michael Sappir
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2005
          --- In gnubies-il@yahoogroups.com, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@i...> wrote:
          > On Thursday 11 August 2005 19:13, Michael Sappir wrote:
          > > Hello. I just set up a little Ubuntu rig here, and I'm practically a
          > > complete newbie at Linux... I'm trying to figure out how to make it so
          > > I can type in Hebrew in general, and specifically in X-Chat.
          >
          > You need to consult:
          >
          > http://iglu.org.il/faq/cache/56.html
          >
          > Note that Ubuntu may have an easier way of doing these things, but I
          don't
          > know what it is. What is described in the FAQ is the most portable and
          > distro-independant way of doing it.
          >

          > > I also
          > > get that weird western-european gibberish instead of Hebrew when
          > > someone else writes in Hebrew on IRC... So I'd like to know how to
          > > sort that out.
          >
          > You probably need to set the character set in that specific network
          of X-Chat
          > to ISO-8859-8. To do that, either do:
          >
          > /charset iso-8859-8
          >
          > on the IRC command line. Or look at the Character Set entry box in the
          > network-editing dialog of X-Chat.

          Thanks, that solved it. I had to fish around a bit but it turned out
          all I needed for typing in Hebrew was already right there in Ubuntu
          (or perhaps even in GNOME in general, I dunno.)
          > > Also if you can reccommend a Hebrew font to use on
          > > Firefox I'd be much obliged, the default is ugly as hell.
          >
          > Try the Culmus fonts.
          >
          > http://culmus.sourceforge.net/

          I haven't tried the fonts yet but thank you anyways.
          > Hope it helps.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Shlomi Fish

          > Shlomi Fish shlomif@i...
          > Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/
          >
          > Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for
          closures
          > is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
          > paragraphs.

          Besides all that, could someone reccommend a general newbies' guide to
          Linux? I feel clueless half the time and a good guide to give me the
          basics might help with that.
          Thanks in advanced again.