[gnubies-il] a basic question about startup scripts

  • Shlomi Ben-Tzvi
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2005
      hi,
      i have similar question to Michael,
      i'm using fc1, i put a .bash_profile script on the user home directory
      and i dont succeed making the user operate it when logged in.
      how do i make it work
      thanks
      shlomi.

      http://personals.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2005
        On Wednesday 06 April 2005 11:50, Shlomi Ben-Tzvi wrote:
        > hi,
        > i have similar question to Michael,
        > i'm using fc1, i put a .bash_profile script on the user home directory
        > and i dont succeed making the user operate it when logged in.
        > how do i make it work
        > thanks
        > shlomi.

        Well, it should work. I can't tell you right away why it doesn't, but maybe:

        1. Are you sure it's $HOME/.bash_profile?

        2. Are you doing an X-login?

        3. Is it readable by the current user?

        > --- Michael Perelmutter <perelmum@...> wrote:
        > > did in accordance with the below steps. doesn't work and mtu stays on
        > > 500 on startup. any suggestions?
        > >
        > > Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:On Saturday 02 April 2005 21:22,
        > >
        > > Michael Perelmutter wrote:
        > > > Hello,
        > > > I'm using suse 9.2 and I need to run a certain command
        > > > as root on startup (more specifically, i need to
        > > > change my mtu to 1492, otherwise my internet won't
        > > > work).
        > > >
        > > > so I created a file, which had this one line:
        > > >
        > > > /sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492
        > > >
        > > > and named it mtu.sh
        > >
        > > Well, first of all the entire file needs to be:
        > >
        > > <<<
        > > #!/bin/sh
        > > /sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492
        > >

        > > (with the sha-bang (#!) line)
        > >
        > > Then you need to make it executable by issuing the command "chmod +x" on
        > > the
        > > file.
        > >
        > > > now, various howtos i have read mention editing
        > > > scripts in /etc/init.d; however none of them go into
        > > > much detail about this. do i put my file in the init.d
        > > > directory?
        > >
        > > Yes. Name it /etc/init.d/set-mtu.sh or something like this.
        > >
        > > > or do i edit one of the scripts already in
        > > > there? which one do i edit and where do i put that
        > > > line?
        > >
        > > In order to activate it, you have to symlink this file from all the
        > > run-levels
        > > in which it should run. Just use the command:
        > >
        > > cd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d # Or whatever run-level number
        > > ln -s /etc/init.d/set-mtu.sh 50set-mtu
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Shlomi Fish

        Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

        Hacker sees bug. Hacker fixes bug.
      • Shlomi Ben-Tzvi
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2005
          hi,
          yes, yes, and yes
          yes-checked it's home dir is correct
          no - it happens all the time, telnet,x-login or even su from root...
          yes-he's the owner

          anyone - any other idea directions for me ?

          thank