Re: [gnubies-il] a basic question about startup scripts

  • Michael Perelmutter
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
      did in accordance with the below steps. doesn't work and mtu stays on 500 on startup. any suggestions?

      Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
      On Saturday 02 April 2005 21:22, Michael Perelmutter wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I'm using suse 9.2 and I need to run a certain command
      > as root on startup (more specifically, i need to
      > change my mtu to 1492, otherwise my internet won't
      > work).
      >
      > so I created a file, which had this one line:
      >
      > /sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492
      >
      > and named it mtu.sh

      Well, first of all the entire file needs to be:

      <<<
      #!/bin/sh
      /sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492

      (with the sha-bang (#!) line)

      Then you need to make it executable by issuing the command "chmod +x" on the
      file.

      > now, various howtos i have read mention editing
      > scripts in /etc/init.d; however none of them go into
      > much detail about this. do i put my file in the init.d
      > directory?

      Yes. Name it /etc/init.d/set-mtu.sh or something like this.

      > or do i edit one of the scripts already in
      > there? which one do i edit and where do i put that
      > line?

      In order to activate it, you have to symlink this file from all the run-levels
      in which it should run. Just use the command:

      cd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d          # Or whatever run-level number
      ln -s /etc/init.d/set-mtu.sh 50set-mtu

    • Shlomi Ben-Tzvi
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2005
        hi,
        i have similar question to Michael,
        i'm using fc1, i put a .bash_profile script on the user home directory
        and i dont succeed making the user operate it when logged in.
        how do i make it work
        thanks
        shlomi.

        http://personals.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2005
          On Wednesday 06 April 2005 11:50, Shlomi Ben-Tzvi wrote:
          > hi,
          > i have similar question to Michael,
          > i'm using fc1, i put a .bash_profile script on the user home directory
          > and i dont succeed making the user operate it when logged in.
          > how do i make it work
          > thanks
          > shlomi.

          Well, it should work. I can't tell you right away why it doesn't, but maybe:

          1. Are you sure it's $HOME/.bash_profile?

          2. Are you doing an X-login?

          3. Is it readable by the current user?

          > --- Michael Perelmutter <perelmum@...> wrote:
          > > did in accordance with the below steps. doesn't work and mtu stays on
          > > 500 on startup. any suggestions?
          > >
          > > Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:On Saturday 02 April 2005 21:22,
          > >
          > > Michael Perelmutter wrote:
          > > > Hello,
          > > > I'm using suse 9.2 and I need to run a certain command
          > > > as root on startup (more specifically, i need to
          > > > change my mtu to 1492, otherwise my internet won't
          > > > work).
          > > >
          > > > so I created a file, which had this one line:
          > > >
          > > > /sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492
          > > >
          > > > and named it mtu.sh
          > >
          > > Well, first of all the entire file needs to be:
          > >
          > > <<<
          > > #!/bin/sh
          > > /sbin/ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492
          > >

          > > (with the sha-bang (#!) line)
          > >
          > > Then you need to make it executable by issuing the command "chmod +x" on
          > > the
          > > file.
          > >
          > > > now, various howtos i have read mention editing
          > > > scripts in /etc/init.d; however none of them go into
          > > > much detail about this. do i put my file in the init.d
          > > > directory?
          > >
          > > Yes. Name it /etc/init.d/set-mtu.sh or something like this.
          > >
          > > > or do i edit one of the scripts already in
          > > > there? which one do i edit and where do i put that
          > > > line?
          > >
          > > In order to activate it, you have to symlink this file from all the
          > > run-levels
          > > in which it should run. Just use the command:
          > >
          > > cd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d # Or whatever run-level number
          > > ln -s /etc/init.d/set-mtu.sh 50set-mtu
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Shlomi Fish

          Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

          Hacker sees bug. Hacker fixes bug.
        • Shlomi Ben-Tzvi
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2005
            hi,
            yes, yes, and yes
            yes-checked it's home dir is correct
            no - it happens all the time, telnet,x-login or even su from root...
            yes-he's the owner

            anyone - any other idea directions for me ?

            thank