Re: [gnubies-il] Hi

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
      On Tuesday 01 March 2005 08:46, Robert wrote:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > I am green to UNIX / LINUX all I am aware of is the history of how
      > the software got started. I have downloaded FEDORA Core 3 and would
      > like suggestions on how to install,

      To install, just make your CD-ROM drive bootable and boot from the first CD of
      the distribution. The hard part is the partitioning, in which you have to
      make your Windows partition smaller, so you can install Linux on the freed
      space. Are you aware of what a partition is?

      I think you can find installation guides for Fedora Core on the Web. (possibly
      even in Hebrew). But the installation is GUIish and easy, so it shouldn't be
      too hard.

      > what GUI X-Windows config I
      > should use,

      I would recommend KDE for people who are just switching over from Windows, as
      it can be configured to be the most similar to Windows, and also offers a
      very powerful, configurable and integrated working environment. I and many
      other more experienced people are still using it.

      > what linux apps to use.

      Well, this depends on what you want to do. I've listed some of my own
      favourites here:

      http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/favourite/

      Let us know if there's anything else you need.

      Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/