help to clean up

  • Avraham Hanadari
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2005
      Thank you all for your help, but unfortunately I failed to install
      Mandrake. Now I need to return the boot record to its previous state and
      remove LILO, as well as remove the broken Mandrake installation. Please
      tell me what I must do to remove the LILO screen from booting, so I can
      once again boot straight into Windows.

      Thanks in advance, Avraham
    • Avraham Hanadari
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2005
        Thanks once again. Mandrake did not recognize a lot of my hardware, and
        at the end of installation it just froze at bootup. It's my fault. I'm
        sure. I keep trying, every year or so, but I guess I'm just not ready
        for Linux.

        Avraham

        Uri Sharf wrote:

        >On Wednesday 12 January 2005 12:52, Avraham Hanadari wrote:
        >

        >>Thank you all for your help, but unfortunately I failed to install
        >>Mandrake. Now I need to return the boot record to its previous state and
        >>remove LILO, as well as remove the broken Mandrake installation. Please
        >>tell me what I must do to remove the LILO screen from booting, so I can
        >>once again boot straight into Windows.
        >>

        >To remove LILO/GRUB simply boot with WindowsXP's CD into rescue mode, and then
        >run fixmbr. To remove mandrake, just format the partition with Windows own
        >tools.
        >
        >* Sorry to hear you didn't manage to finish the installation. I'm afraid I'm
        >not sure at which stage things went wrong for you.

      • Uri Sharf
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2005
          On Wednesday 12 January 2005 12:52, Avraham Hanadari wrote:
          > Thank you all for your help, but unfortunately I failed to install
          > Mandrake. Now I need to return the boot record to its previous state and
          > remove LILO, as well as remove the broken Mandrake installation. Please
          > tell me what I must do to remove the LILO screen from booting, so I can
          > once again boot straight into Windows.

          To remove LILO/GRUB simply boot with WindowsXP's CD into rescue mode, and then
          run fixmbr. To remove mandrake, just format the partition with Windows own
          tools.

          * Sorry to hear you didn't manage to finish the installation. I'm afraid I'm
          not sure at which stage things went wrong for you.

          Uri Sharf
          --------------------
          Ed., Linmagazine
          http://linmagazine.co.il
          News, Support and Guides on Linux and Open source in Hebrew
        • Errol & Estelle Sapir
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2005
            I have asked this before but maybe the link got lost. Is there a
            preferred Distro for starting with Linux for use with Hebrew? I intend
            to work mainly with GUI and want the Linux in English with the ability
            to work in Hebrew fully. My computer is a Cellron III 500MGhtz with
            256MB ram. I currently have Fedora 3 on DVD as well as Mandrake 10.1.
            From my point of view I am prepared to download any Distro that will
            suite the needs mentioned above.

            I am an accomplished Windows user (and there is little in Windows I
            cannot do) but am VERY new to Linux so I'm sure there will be many
            questions along the way if that's OK.

            TIA

            Errol