starting with Mandrake

  • Avraham Hanadari
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2005

      I am about to try an installation of Mandrake on my computer which has already three partitions, in one of which is XP Pro. Please help me with some information and guidance.

      Will Mandrake be able to handle reconfiguration of the partitions?

      Will Mandrake be able to read the NTFS XP partition?

      Will Mandrake be able to use my USB ADSL MODEM ALE 130?

      Thanks very much.

      Avraham Hanadari
      Hod Hasharon
    • Michael Perelmutter
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2005
        Will Mandrake be able to handle reconfiguration of the
        partitions?

        - yes, but i'd recommend using partition magic prior
        to installation nevertheless, as it offers much more
        flexibility with the partitions than mandrake's
        partitioner.

        Will Mandrake be able to read the NTFS XP partition?

        - yes, but not write to it. the linux ntfs project
        (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/) is, as far as i
        know, stalled. there is only one driver i know of
        (http://www.ntfs-linux.com/), by paragon, which
        enables ntfs write support, but it's proprietary :(

        Will Mandrake be able to use my USB ADSL MODEM ALE
        130?

        - the short answer is no. the long answer is that, as
        far as i know, ale130 is not on the list of currently
        supported modems, which include ale070, itex and the
        ethernet ones. the even longer answer is that even if
        they're supported, you don't want to use a usb modem
        (these give problems even under windoze). go to bezeq
        and take eci270/312 or alcatel and you will not be
        disappointed, as they work under all operating
        systems.

        Michael "Talash" Perelmuttter.

        Terms of Service.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2005
          On Monday 10 January 2005 15:05, Michael Perelmutter wrote:
          > Will Mandrake be able to handle reconfiguration of the
          > partitions?
          >
          > - yes, but i'd recommend using partition magic prior
          > to installation nevertheless, as it offers much more
          > flexibility with the partitions than mandrake's
          > partitioner.

          That or Sys-Rescue-CD which is costless and open-source:

          http://www.sysresccd.org/

          > Will Mandrake be able to read the NTFS XP partition?
          >
          > - yes, but not write to it. the linux ntfs project
          > (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/) is, as far as i
          > know, stalled. there is only one driver i know of
          > (http://www.ntfs-linux.com/), by paragon, which
          > enables ntfs write support, but it's proprietary :(

          Note that it is recommended that you partition the disk to have a FAT32
          partition that both operating systems can read from and write to.

          > Will Mandrake be able to use my USB ADSL MODEM ALE
          > 130?
          >
          > - the short answer is no. the long answer is that, as
          > far as i know, ale130 is not on the list of currently
          > supported modems, which include ale070, itex and the
          > ethernet ones. the even longer answer is that even if
          > they're supported, you don't want to use a usb modem
          > (these give problems even under windoze). go to bezeq
          > and take eci270/312 or alcatel and you will not be
          > disappointed, as they work under all operating
          > systems.

          Right.

          Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/