Re: [gnubies-il] Problems w TrekStor external USB hard drive

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2004
      Hi

      On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 08:26:26PM -0000, sprechere wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > The TrekStor external USB hard drive (you see a lot of them at Bug and
      > other stores) has problems with Linspire and with several other
      > versions of Linux (mostly live CDs I've tried). No problems with
      > mounting/unmounting, or drive formatting, just with reading and
      > writing files larger than about 1 MB in total. Browsing the net
      > suggests that the problem is related to the Genesys Logic chipset used
      > in the drives -- apparently Linux reads/writes larger blocks of data
      > from/to the drive than the firmware can handle, and does not allow
      > long enough delays between blocks, so the drive will crash or unmount.
      >
      > I could probably try to purchase a USB 1.1 card, and force the
      > TrekStor to work at a much slower speed (not a terrible solution, as I
      > want to use the drive for system backup), or drag in a Windows laptop
      > from work and backup through my network. (The drive works just fine
      > in Windows.)
      >
      > It also wouldn't bother me to re-boot my Linspire system with either a
      > live CD or other software to do the file backups (and restores if
      > necessary). Does anyone know of a Linux Live CD version which has
      > superior support for USB 2.0? It would, I guess, have to be capable
      > of using some sort of "relaxed" protocol for 2.0. I already tried an
      > Ubuntu installed system, Knoppix (slightly better behavior than
      > Linspire), and Kanotix.

      Thanks for your detailed post.

      You left out some important information:

      What kernel version do you use? You can get that from the output of
      'uname -r' in a terminal window.

      And it is always a good idea to mention the version of the distribution
      that you use. From the version of the distribution it is generally
      possible to make an educated guess about the versions of software that
      you use.

      While you're at it, please also give the output of 'mount' when the
      external hard-drive is mounted, and also the output of '/sbin/lsmod'

      --