Re: [gnubies-il] ext. USB drive mounts read-only

  • Michael Green
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
      Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
      > On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 12:58:18PM +0200, Michael Green wrote:
      >
      >>I have a user that connects his external USB hard drive to his PC
      >>running RHEL WS3U3. The drive formated FAT32. It behaves normally when
      >>connected to an Apple Powerbook (OSX), reads and writes with no problem
      >>whatsoever. However when he connects it to his PC and then reboots, the
      >>disk, for a reason beyond my understanding will always mount as read-only.
      >>This is how his USB-disk related fstab line looks like:
      >>/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat rw 0 0
      >>
      >>I put 'rw' there in attempt to solve the problem of ro mounts. Before
      >>that the line was:
      >>/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat defaults 0 0
      >>
      >>Each time his reboots his computer I have to login as root and fix the
      >>problem by issuing:
      >>mount -O remount,rw /mnt/usb
      >

      > Look for relevant messages in the logs (boot and messages, mainly).

      > I believe you confuse -O and -o . -O is only used with -a (useful for
      > boot-time mounts and such).

      right!

      > Try unmouning the disk and mounting it using the full mount command. See
      > if there are any strange error messages emmited from the kernel. Check
      > /var/log/messages as well.

      messages show nothing, however in dmesg I found:

      Filesystem panic (dev 08:01).
      FAT error
      File system has been set read-only
      Directory 494: bad FAT

      There also many error entries like this:

      SCSI cdrom error : host 1 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 28000000
      ILI Current sd0b:00: sense key Illegal Request
      Additional sense indicates Illegal mode for this track
      I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 68

      do you think I should try and reformat the USB drive?

      --
      Warm regards,
      Michael Green