Re: [gnubies-il] dead x

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
      On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 dgi_il@... wrote:

      > Hello all
      >
      > I am having a big problem: x does not load. I have attached the output of
      > startx (as root). Here is the problem: xfs does not load. "/etc/init.d/xfs
      > start" starts the xfs daemon but then it dies and does not delete it file
      > from /var/run*somewhere*. I delete it by hand and run xfs by hand, and then
      > x does not load neighter.

      The relevant lines of the log:

      _FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
      failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
      Fatal server error:
      could not open default font 'fixed'

      As you've said, X doesn't load because it cannot connect to the fonts
      server, and the fonts server is its only source for fonts:

      So why won't the fonts server run properly?

      Any error message printed when it is starting to run? Anything in the logs
      (maybe in /var/log/messages )?

      Have you changed anything that is realted to xfs lately? Its config?
      relasted libraries (X, FreeType)?

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
        On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 dgi_il@... wrote:

        > from /var/log/user.log
        > Jul 1 18:07:29 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        > Jul 1 18:11:01 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        > Jul 1 18:18:43 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        > Jul 1 19:19:44 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        > Jul 1 19:21:03 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        > Jul 1 19:23:30 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        > Jul 1 19:25:00 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        > Jul 1 19:28:33 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        > Jul 1 19:31:46 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        > Jul 1 19:41:09 localhost xfs: listening on port 7100
        > Jul 1 19:41:23 localhost xfs: listening on port 7100
        > Jul 1 19:43:24 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        > Jul 1 19:48:59 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        > Jul 1 19:51:21 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        > Jul 1 19:51:32 localhost xfs: listening on port 7100
        > Jul 1 21:20:50 localhost xfs: listening on port -1
        >
        > is it it? or what what should I look for? The reason for my problem is a
        > hard boot (pressing the magic button). yes linux can crash.

        That opens many possibilities...

        I wonder, though, why xfs sometimes runs on port 7100 and sometimes on
        port -1. X expexts it to be on port "-1" (as evident from the error
        message you sent previously, this is X's font path: "unix/:-1" unix-domain
        transsport, this host, port -1). 7100 is probably XFS's default. Maybe
        when you ran it manually (and not through '/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start' )
        it had the default of listening on port 7100 , and maybe this has caused X
        not to find it.

        Is xfs running? can you connect to it?

        If you see xfs running (ps) and want to try connecting to it, You can use
        the command 'fslsfonts'. Something like:

        fslsfonts -server unix/:-1

        It should create a long output, so you better pipe it to less, or wc.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
          One other thing...

          On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

          > On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 dgi_il@... wrote:
          >
          > > Hello all
          > >
          > > I am having a big problem: x does not load. I have attached the output of
          > > startx (as root). Here is the problem: xfs does not load. "/etc/init.d/xfs
          > > start" starts the xfs daemon but then it dies and does not delete it file
          > > from /var/run*somewhere*. I delete it by hand and run xfs by hand, and then
          > > x does not load neighter.
          >
          > The relevant lines of the log:
          >
          > _FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
          > failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
          > Fatal server error:
          > could not open default font 'fixed'
          >
          > As you've said, X doesn't load because it cannot connect to the fonts
          > server, and the fonts server is its only source for fonts:

          If getting X up and running is a high priority, and you can't figure out
          what's wrong with xfs, then live without it for the moment.

          Add the following lines to XF86Config , after the existing FontPath line:

          FontPath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
          FontPath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi
          FontPath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
          FontPath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
          FontPath /usr/share/fonts/truetype

          and whatever other font dirs that may be required. the "misc" one is
          really required, as it will supply you a font called "fixed", so your X
          server will be able to load.

          Alternatively, maybe even something like:

          startx -- -fontpath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc

          may be able to do the trick temporarily. But I haven't tried it.

        • dgi_il@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
            Hello all

            I am having a big problem: x does not load. I have attached the output of
            startx (as root). Here is the problem: xfs does not load. "/etc/init.d/xfs
            start" starts the xfs daemon but then it dies and does not delete it file
            from /var/run*somewhere*. I delete it by hand and run xfs by hand, and then
            x does not load neighter.

            - diego
          • dgi_il@hotmail.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
                >It should create a long output, so you better pipe it to less, or wc.
                >..

                or better, uninstall x? the windows solution.