Re: [gnubies-il] Scribus: translators wanted

  • Uri Sharf
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi There :)

      AFAIK Scribus still does not support BiDi languages good enough. E.g
      importing text is possible, but the display order is reverse etc. Are
      there any changes is respect to BiDi support in the coming release?
      Mind you I didn't check Scribus in a while.

      Regards,
      Uri Sharf

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2004
        Hi Uri, hi list,
        I've forwarded your mail to the Scribus mailing list (see
        http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/2004
        -October/006692.html
        for more) and there is still no further answer (apart from the
        document
        http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&sm=setup&page=fonts3 which
        to I'd pointed you earlier).

        However, there is still something I want to say. Scribus translators
        work very close together with Scribus developers, in fact, they are
        part of their testing and production workflow. I don't know at the
        moment, if the Hebrew support in Scribus is sufficient, but nobody
        can find it out better than Hebrew native speakers. Scribus team
        usually reacts quite quickly to well-founded objections - the more
        Hebrew native speakers use and test this piece of software, the
        better the chance, that it will work well for them. And the Hebrew
        GUI translation is a way to attract more Hebrew native speakers to
        use and test it...

        We had a similar situation with Slavonic (in my case Polish)
        languages more than a year ago -- Scribus didn't support text
        editing in Latin-2 or Cyrillic fonts. It changed dramatically, then,
        after more and more Polish, Russian, and Ukrainian native speakers
        had joined the mailing list and started translating, contributing
        test results, and so on.

        Best regards
        Maciej