Scribus: translators wanted

  • Maciej Hanski
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi,
      I'm an enthusiastic user and the Polish translator of Scribus
      http://www.scribus.net , the Open Source DTP application. I've noticed, that
      Scribus GUI hasn't yet been translated into Hebrew (see
      translation statistics for more: http://bugs.scribus.net/trans/ ).

      The Scribus team is going to release a bugfix release 1.2.1 in not a
      very distant future, it would be nice, if it could contain a GUI
      translation for your language, too.

      If anybody is interested, please:

      1. join the Scribus mailing list
      http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/mailman/listinfo/scribus and let the
      Scribus team know, that you are going to translate

      2. Read this very easy to follow translation howto:
      http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&sm=translationhowto&page=translation_howto

      3. Submit your translated files to http://bugs.scribus.net

      4. If you prefere IRC, an IRC channel #scribus on freenode.net is
      quite active

      Looking forward to seeing Scribus in your language
      Maciej Hanski
    • Uri Sharf
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
        Hi There :)

        AFAIK Scribus still does not support BiDi languages good enough. E.g
        importing text is possible, but the display order is reverse etc. Are
        there any changes is respect to BiDi support in the coming release?
        Mind you I didn't check Scribus in a while.

        Regards,
        Uri Sharf

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2004
          Hi Uri, hi list,
          I've forwarded your mail to the Scribus mailing list (see
          http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/2004
          -October/006692.html
          for more) and there is still no further answer (apart from the
          document
          http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&sm=setup&page=fonts3 which
          to I'd pointed you earlier).

          However, there is still something I want to say. Scribus translators
          work very close together with Scribus developers, in fact, they are
          part of their testing and production workflow. I don't know at the
          moment, if the Hebrew support in Scribus is sufficient, but nobody
          can find it out better than Hebrew native speakers. Scribus team
          usually reacts quite quickly to well-founded objections - the more
          Hebrew native speakers use and test this piece of software, the
          better the chance, that it will work well for them. And the Hebrew
          GUI translation is a way to attract more Hebrew native speakers to
          use and test it...

          We had a similar situation with Slavonic (in my case Polish)
          languages more than a year ago -- Scribus didn't support text
          editing in Latin-2 or Cyrillic fonts. It changed dramatically, then,
          after more and more Polish, Russian, and Ukrainian native speakers
          had joined the mailing list and started translating, contributing
          test results, and so on.

          Best regards
          Maciej