Re: [gnubies-il] Which distribution is good for me?

  • Alon Altman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2004
      On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Yair Friedman wrote:

      > Being fed-up with windows I decided to dive into the Linux world and
      > would like to hear your advise on distribution, configuration and
      > additional things I'd need to know.
      >
      > At this stage I can only spend bandwidth media and some rime but not
      > money. I also prefer the free (FSF) alternatives.
      >
      > Although I have no experience with Linux I do have Unix knowledge and
      > not "afraid" of the command line. Flashy GUI isn't needed, but
      > reasonable defaults and themes are welcome.

      Up to now almost any distro is OK for you (Fedora Core 2, SuSE, Mandrake,
      Debian, etc.)

      > Windows environment smooth integration is must. Easy samba and printers
      > integration is a must.

      This depends on how you define "easy". Samba and CUPS are available on all
      distros, but some add their own wizards to assist in configuration. If you
      don't have a problem reading documentation and editing config files, I
      recommend Debian. Otherwise, Try Mandrake or SuSE (note: I haven't tried
      SuSE).

      > I wonder if it also possible to run win applications directly.

      Install wine. It is available for all distros, but still in an alpha
      stage, meaning it won't always work correctly and stable. If this is very
      important for you, consider purchasing Crossover Office from CodeWeavers
      (http://www.codeweavers.com/).

      > I'd rather run office instead of getting into computability issues.

      You'd run into compatibility issues any way. In my experience, OpenOffice
      does better than MS-Office under wine.

      > There are some applications which might not have Linux replacement
      > (Project?).

      Try mrproject, whcih should replace MS-Project.

      > One more important issue is stability. I was very much annoyed after
      > installing a new cygwin component and discover that cygwin decided to
      > upgrade half of it system making many other things stop working.

      In general, your system won't upgrade itself. If you want a more stable
      distribution I recommend debian sarge (testing), or Mandrake 9.2. The more
      stable version of debian (woody) is missing many updates that could make it
      hard to use (especially with Hebrew). It is mostly recommended for servers,
      but not desktops.

      > Any advise, pointers, hints etc. are welcome.

      In general, read documentation when you don't know what to do.

      Alon

      --
      This message was sent by Alon Altman (alon@...) ICQ:1366540
      GPG public key at http://8ln.org/pubkey.txt
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2004
        I've been trying Linux on and off for sometime now.
        I tried RedHat, SuSE, Debian, Gentoo and finally Fedora.

        I like Fedora the most. I find it easy, reliable and polished.
        I tried both Gnome and KDE and chose KDE - it's easier, more polished
        and more functional.

        Things that were easy:
        - Getting help!
        - Installing and getting online
        - Configuring SAMBA and accessing Windows
        - Configuring and sharing a printer
        - Accessing and editing WORD documents - OOo has excellent support for
        the Word format
        - Viewing PowerPoint presentations
        - Getting used to OOo - Cool and easy
        - Installing updates - built-in with Fedora

        Things that were (or still) hard:
        - Configuring Hebrew
        - Managing RPMs and installing software, at least until I found out
        about apt-get for Fedora
        - Editing PowerPoint presentations
        - Tweaking firewall configuration

        Cheers,
        -S.

        On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 17:16, Yair Friedman wrote:
        > Being fed-up with windows I decided to dive into the Linux world and
        > would like to hear your advise on distribution, configuration and
        > additional things I'd need to know.
        >
        > At this stage I can only spend bandwidth media and some rime but not
        > money. I also prefer the free (FSF) alternatives.
        >
        > Although I have no experience with Linux I do have Unix knowledge and
        > not "afraid" of the command line. Flashy GUI isn't needed, but
        > reasonable defaults and themes are welcome.
        >
        > Windows environment smooth integration is must. Easy samba and printers
        > integration is a must. I wonder if it also possible to run win
        > applications directly. I'd rather run office instead of getting into
        > computability issues. There are some applications which might not have
        > Linux replacement (Project?).
        >
        > One more important issue is stability. I was very much annoyed after
        > installing a new cygwin component and discover that cygwin decided to
        > upgrade half of it system making many other things stop working.
        >
        > Any advise, pointers, hints etc. are welcome.
        >
        > Thanks for your help
      • Yair Friedman