Which Linux?

  • Ricardo Monteiro
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
      I'm new in this list, and newer in Linux. If possible, I would like
      to get some help.

      Basically, what I want is to get rid of Windows, so as not to have
      anything illegal in my computer.

      I guess the very first question would be: which Linux?

      What distro would have more resources in the Web (for example, list
      such as this one), would allow for Portuguese-language interfaces? I
      can use an English-based graphic interface, but other people might
      have to use my computer too, that's why I am looking for something in
      Portuguese.

      I hope I've made myself pretty clear. Can anyone help me?

      Thanks in advance,

      Ricardo Monteiro
      (+55-48) 243-3182, 9902-3860
      rpm@...
    • Nigel Ridley
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
        On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:00:16 -0000
        "Ricardo Monteiro" <rpm@...> wrote:

        > I'm new in this list, and newer in Linux. If possible, I would like
        > to get some help.
        >
        > Basically, what I want is to get rid of Windows, so as not to have
        > anything illegal in my computer.
        >
        > I guess the very first question would be: which Linux?
        >
        > What distro would have more resources in the Web (for example, list
        > such as this one), would allow for Portuguese-language interfaces? I
        > can use an English-based graphic interface, but other people might
        > have to use my computer too, that's why I am looking for something in
        > Portuguese.
        >
        > I hope I've made myself pretty clear. Can anyone help me?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Ricardo Monteiro
        > (+55-48) 243-3182, 9902-3860
        > rpm@...

        Since you are new to Linux then Mandrake
        [http://www.linux-mandrake.com] might be to best one to start with --
        very easy to install and set up.

        I have been using Libranet [http://www.libranet.com] for nearly a year
        and a half now and am very pleased with it. It also has a very good user
        mailing list.

        Blessings,

        Nigel

        P.S. How did you happen upon the Israeli Linux users group -- you're
        from Brazil, right?

        --
        It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
        --

        I AM Bible Studies and Resources
        http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

        Messianic E-Cards.com
        http://www.messianicecards.com

        OliveRoot Ministries
        http://www.oliveroot.net
      • Nigel Ridley
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
          On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:36:24 +0200
          Phoenix <phoenix5@...> wrote:

          > Okay, as to your linux question, I know very little about it. But I
          > wrestled with this issue.
          > If you're new to linux and don't want to commit 100% until you know
          > what you're getting into, try knoppix. You can run that right off the
          > CD. If you're looking for a nice replacement for windows there /is/
          > lindows, but lets just say... well, I am not a fan of it. (few people
          > are) The favorite by far seems to be mandrake, especially the newer
          > distro of it.
          >
          > Me personally? I got a linux partition, but I never use it, because I
          > can't get online with it and no one helped me with it. (mandrake 9.2)

          What is the problem that you are having?
          I am not familiar anymore with Mandrake but if you can get online using
          Knoppix, you could just copy over the relevant config files.

          What kind of internet connection do you have -- modem, adsl, cable or
          dsl?

          Blessings,

          Nigel

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
            On Wednesday 30 June 2004 19:00, Ricardo Monteiro wrote:
            > I'm new in this list, and newer in Linux. If possible, I would like
            > to get some help.
            >
            > Basically, what I want is to get rid of Windows, so as not to have
            > anything illegal in my computer.

            OK.

            > I guess the very first question would be: which Linux?
            >
            > What distro would have more resources in the Web (for example, list
            > such as this one), would allow for Portuguese-language interfaces? I
            > can use an English-based graphic interface, but other people might
            > have to use my computer too, that's why I am looking for something in
            > Portuguese.
            >
            > I hope I've made myself pretty clear. Can anyone help me?

            Well, the distributions that are rumoured to have the best
            internationalization are Suse (http://www.suse.com/us/) and Mandrake
            (http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/). I wouldn't recommend Suse because it is
            known to have many idiosyncrasies. Mandrake is better in this regard, and I'm
            personally using it so I can recommend it.

            You may also wish to look at Conectiva Linux:

            http://www.conectiva.com.br/cpub/pt/principal/index.php

            This is a prominent Brazilian distribution (that is otherwise suitable for
            international users) which I suppose will have good support for Portuguese.
            (due to the fact it is sold at the Brazilian market). It is also Red Hat-like
            (as is Red Hat/Fedore, and Mandrake), and so should be better than Suse.

            Note that if you just want to have the interface translated to Portuguese,
            then desktops and common applications like KDE or GNOME have their own
            translation efforts, which will be common to all distributions. Still, users
            may encounter an occasion where they start an application, that was not yet
            localized to Portuguese and so they'll have to use it in English.

            Just a final note: this forum is focused on helping Linux and UNIX newcomers
            in Israel (hence the IL in the name). We don't discriminate against anyone
            and will gladly help you, but I believe you can find similar forums directed
            at Brazilian users.

            See, for example:

            http://www.linux.org/groups/brazil.html
            http://lugww.counter.li.org/groups.cms?&cc=BR
            http://www.ssc.com:8080/glue/groups/nonus/brazil

            Homepage: http://shlomif.il.eu.org/

          • Phoenix

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
                On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 04:00:16PM -0000, Ricardo Monteiro wrote:
                > I'm new in this list, and newer in Linux. If possible, I would like
                > to get some help.
                >
                > Basically, what I want is to get rid of Windows, so as not to have
                > anything illegal in my computer.
                >
                > I guess the very first question would be: which Linux?
                >
                > What distro would have more resources in the Web (for example, list
                > such as this one), would allow for Portuguese-language interfaces? I
                > can use an English-based graphic interface, but other people might
                > have to use my computer too, that's why I am looking for something in
                > Portuguese.
                >
                > I hope I've made myself pretty clear. Can anyone help me?
                >
                > Thanks in advance,

                There are a number of types of distributions that you should consider:

                1. Live-CD distributions. Those distributions run off a CD. They
                normally use a compressed read-only filesystem to provide you around
                1.4GB or even as high as 1.8GB of software in a standard CD. The best
                thing about them is that you don't have to install them on your hard
                disk and thus they are very good to get a feel of what linux is (or even
                to test hardware compatibility in a linux store).

                They normally allow you to install themselves on your hard disk, but I
                would generally recommend against this, as such distros normally don't
                provide a stable enough base for software upgrades.

                The most notable Live-CD distribution is Knoppix (http://knoppix.net/ ).
                There are many such distributions (and most are based on Knoppix). Three
                knoppix off-shoots that focus (among othrs) on good Hebrew support, are:
                Kazit/Kazix from http://kazit.berlios.de/ and Kinneret GNU/Linux from
                http://www.linux-kinneret.org/ (aimed for the educational sector) .

                Another group is the "standard distibutions". Currently the main
                contenders are Fedora (originally RedHat), Mandrake and SuSE. I tend to
                recommend Mandrake, but the edge it has over others is not very
                significant. This distributions will generally give you an easy to
                install and powerful .

                There are a number of non-free distributions intended for home users:
                Lindows, Xandros and Lycoris . I ten not to recommend them, as I have
                already learned the added value of free software.

                --
                Tzafrir Cohen +---------------------------+
                mailto:tzafrir@... +---------------------------+
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
                  On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:36:24PM +0200, Phoenix wrote:

                  > If you're looking for a nice replacement for windows there /is/ lindows,
                  > but lets just say... well, I am not a fan of it. (few people are)

                  Lindows are very good in the marketing department. I don't think that
                  Lindows is that easier to use than most other distros.

                  OTOH, it sure has some problematic defautls:

                  * relatively old version of KDE

                  * Make sure you do add a user and set its password at install time. They
                  tend to simplify the installatiopn process by not requiring that you
                  set the root password.

                  * The basica installation does not include any "office"-type programs.
                  You basically get a browser and a mail client. Reason: if MS makes
                  money from selling Office separately, why won't Lindows? Thisis
                  basically an incentive for you to sign up for their Click'n'Run.

                  I don't like such crippeling of the distribution.

                  --
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
                    On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:36:24PM +0200, Phoenix wrote:

                    > Me personally? I got a linux partition, but I never use it, because I
                    > can't get online with it and no one helped me with it. (mandrake 9.2)

                    What connection do you have? What modem?

                    --