knoppix panic: VFS unable to mount , resource collition and more..

  • Yossi Beck
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22 2:52 PM
      I just downloaded the Knoppix CD-ISO, checked it, burned it and
      booted from it.
      However after i boots i get two penguins in the top corner and the
      announcement:
      PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collition.
      Then the system freezes and I have to reboot (to Windows!!)

      So, I downloaded the English version 3.4 from their main site.
      When booting I get the announcement (yes, with 2 penguins...):
      "Kernek panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 01:03

      And so, disappointed, I returned to good (?) old Windows XP.

      Has anyone an idea what goes wrong in either version?

      Thanks,
      Yossi
    • Yossi Beck
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22 2:58 PM
        clarification - the first program I booted from was the Hebrew
        version from Kinneret (that's what gave the PCI error), then I
        booted from the English version (and that gave the Kernel Panic
        message).
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23 3:59 AM
          On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:52:50PM -0000, Yossi Beck wrote:
          > I just downloaded the Knoppix CD-ISO, checked it, burned it and
          > booted from it.
          > However after i boots i get two penguins in the top corner and the
          > announcement:
          > PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collition.
          > Then the system freezes and I have to reboot (to Windows!!)
          >
          > So, I downloaded the English version 3.4

          Of what date? There are normally a number of revisions for each knoppix
          version, and they are marked by their date.

          > from their main site.
          > When booting I get the announcement (yes, with 2 penguins...):
          > "Kernek panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 01:03

          device 1:3 is ramdisk 3 (/dev/ram3) . This error means that for some
          reason there was a problem with the root filesystem. In this case: the
          ram disk was not created. Maybe there was a problem reading it from the
          CD?

          What messages do you get just before that message?

          > And so, disappointed, I returned to good (?) old Windows XP.
          >
          > Has anyone an idea what goes wrong in either version?

          What motherboard do you have?

          --
          Tzafrir Cohen +---------------------------+
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 23 6:23 AM
             i encounter the same problem trying to show the knoppix to fried (on a fried comp....
            try other cd rom device

            i reseted the computer
            windows-
            then reset and