Re: [gnubies-il] Configure minicom to work as terminal

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2004
      On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 02:03:27PM -0000, iandahf wrote:
      > I need to connect my Linux machine to a windows machine with
      > hyperterminal - (porpose is to establish the session through the
      > serial port by intention)
      >
      > What specific settings I need in order that Minicom will recognize the
      > Serial port and send/receive the dat through him ? all the settings
      > from the Minicom menu are set and correct, but the Minicom says
      > "Offline"

      minicom serves the same function of hyper-terminal on windows: a
      terminal for serial-line connection. I don't understand why you wish to
      configure it (unless this is in a different linux machine).

      > When redirecting some output to the serial port I do get the output
      > in my Windows Hyperterminal.

      Basically you need a getty process (e.g: mgetty) to listen on the serial
      line.

      /etc/inttab of my current distro (debian/stable) contains the following
      remme-out lines:

      #T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
      #T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100

      See if your distro already has such lines. If so: unrem them (remove the
      '#' marks) and then run 'telinit q' to tell the init process to reread
      /etc/inittab .

      Alternatively: you may want a headless station with a serial terimnal as
      a console. In that case I believe you need to either config lilo for that
      (does grub support bootting with a serail console?) . It may be even
      better if you bios support a serail terminal, because this will also
      allow you to see bios boot messages in the remote terminal.

      --