Re: [gnubies-il] mail server

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2004
      On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 05:39:47PM +0200, Gonen Omri wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I installed mandrake 9.2 on my server and I would like to install a mail
      > server that supports / comes with web interface application, I tried to
      > install qmail toaster and I'm having problems with it.
      >
      > Can some1 please reccomand on another mailserver application that supports
      > hebrew?

      You can start off with the distro's defaults:

      * postfix for the MTA. Try it first. Chances are it is almost as good as
      qmail, and already comes well-configured.

      (If you really want qmail, start looking at
      http://www.mandrakesecure.net/ . Mandrake's chief security guy,
      Vincent Danen, is a qmail fan.
      http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/qmail.php might give you some
      hints. I'm not sure if those packages have been updated for more
      recent Mandrake versions, though.

      * For a pop3/imap server you can try the distro's default: uw-imapd.
      Easy to configure, but lacking on performance and configurability.

      If your users need to have accounts on the same machine anyway (e.g:
      for samba), you can try working with courier. I also became fond of
      dovecot lately (and unlike courier, it offers a simple migration path
      from uw-imapd) .

      If your users don't need local accounts, take a look at cyrus imapd
      Not trivial to set up , but rommor has it that it is worth it.

      * Mandrake comes with a good webmail client: squirrelmail. You should
      also take a look at horde/imp .

      BTW: anybody considered adding a local jabber server for instant
      messaging?

      --