RE: [gnubies-il] Connecting to Internet Zahav (Cables) through a USB Modem

  • Itamar Ravid
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 19, 2003
      Thanks for the Replies, David and Ofir :-)

      I`ll be checking out that HOWTO and see if it works with my Slack.

      Regards, Itamar.

      > > Hi Itamar,
      > > I'm not sure, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but USB modems for
      > > cables and ADSL are not supported under Linux.
      > > David.
      > >

      > You're wrong- the CDCEther module supports USB cablemodems under Linux,
      > once I (well actaully, a friend of mine who actually *knows* Linux)
      > actually got my modem to work through this using a USB connection.
      > I did have some problems though, so I got an ethernet card since I thought
      > connecting through it would solve my problems.
      >
      > Funny thing though, I switched to using the ethernet card and now my modem
      > (under Linux) won't work at all... :-(
      >
      > Iatamr, there is a good howto for you to read:
      > http://www.whatsup.org.il/doc/CABLES-DHCP-PPTP-HOWTO.html
      >
      > You might also try the automatic configuration tool iwiz:
      > http://iwiz.linux-kinneret.org/
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      > Offer Kaye

    • Itamar Ravid
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 21, 2003
        Hello again, everyone.

        I was trying 2 days to configure my PPtP connection to Internet Zahav, finally succeeded by modifying the Netvision scripts to suit my needs. Anyway, DHCP is configured and all. I do a cablestart username &, to put it in the background. ifconfig shows no ppp0 yet, but the kernel routing table has been modified by the cablestart script. After some waiting (around 1 min) I get 3 errors in pptp.c: cannot open connection, or something along those lines. Ideas, anyone? Does anyone succeed at all with connecting to Internet Zahav through Linux?

        Regards, Itamar.
      • Itamar Ravid
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 21, 2003
          By the way, here are the error messages.

          warn[open_inetsock:pptp_callmgr.c:310]: connect: Connection timed out
          fatal[callmgr_main:pptp_callmgr.c:133]: Could not open control connection to 213.8.56.12
          fatal[open_callmgr:pptp.c:283]: Call manager exited with error 256

          Regards, Itamar.