running debian and lindows 4

  • meir michanie
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2003
      Hi list,
      I am testing a few distros.
      I got Lindows 4.
      My review:
      I got a new P4 2.4 with intel motherboard with agp , eth onboard.
      RH9 installs perfect in it.
      Lindows goes to graphic mode (640x480) cause it could not resolve the
      module for the video card. After a few screens you are asked to accept
      some question, but the buttons are unreacheables. I though that I may
      found some help on the net. nothing there. There is a diagnostics mode
      that throws you to the shell. There is also no info in the net of what
      can you do with it.
      but anyhow I tried adding under the Display Section:
      Virtual 800 600
      and it did not work.
      I installed in another machine, the install asks you for a password (not
      required) for what it became clear after it that it was for the root
      user.
      On the kdm it shows as username administrator, but if you check the
      /etc/passwd there is only root.
      there is no ssh installed.
      Ppl are supposed to use the click & run to install software (you have to
      pay for the service).
      opening terminal and running
      cat /etc/apt/sources.list shows that points to the debian stable.
      so you can install whatever you whant with synaptic ( you need to run
      apt-get install synaptic first).

      :)

      Now Debian 3

      what a deception. I tried cd1, cd5, mini.
      I tried booting the bf24 ...
      it has the module eepro100 but even do running cat /proc/pci shows that
      it is my ethernet card.
      it fails to load even when forced.

      Googling I only got a few postof people saying that either it work out
      of the box or that they have to recompile a new kernel....
      Knoppix (based on debian) runs the module without problem on the same
      pc.

      I know that till now I wrote like a review, but the real point is that I
      am using RH for long time and I would like to switch to Debian because I
      like the apt-get system ( install once, run forever).

      I am sure there must be out there debians servers running the lastest
      software with a uptime of years.

      Can anybody help me to help me get in theDebian world? I though of
      libranet, but I would like to stick with the source.

      yours, Meir.

    • Nigel Ridley
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2003
        On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:17:54 +0000
        "meir michanie" <meirmichanie@...> wrote:

        > Hi list,
        > I am testing a few distros.
        > I got Lindows 4.
        > My review:
        > I got a new P4 2.4 with intel motherboard with agp , eth onboard.
        > RH9 installs perfect in it.
        > Lindows goes to graphic mode (640x480) cause it could not resolve the
        > module for the video card. After a few screens you are asked to accept
        > some question, but the buttons are unreacheables. I though that I may
        > found some help on the net. nothing there. There is a diagnostics mode
        > that throws you to the shell. There is also no info in the net of what
        > can you do with it.
        > but anyhow I tried adding under the Display Section:
        > Virtual 800 600
        > and it did not work.
        > I installed in another machine, the install asks you for a password
        > (not required) for what it became clear after it that it was for the
        > root user.
        > On the kdm it shows as username administrator, but if you check the
        > /etc/passwd there is only root.
        > there is no ssh installed.
        > Ppl are supposed to use the click & run to install software (you have
        > to pay for the service).
        > opening terminal and running
        > cat /etc/apt/sources.list shows that points to the debian stable.
        > so you can install whatever you whant with synaptic ( you need to run
        > apt-get install synaptic first).
        >
        > :)
        >
        > Now Debian 3
        >
        > what a deception. I tried cd1, cd5, mini.
        > I tried booting the bf24 ...
        > it has the module eepro100 but even do running cat /proc/pci shows
        > that it is my ethernet card.
        > it fails to load even when forced.
        >
        > Googling I only got a few postof people saying that either it work out
        > of the box or that they have to recompile a new kernel....
        > Knoppix (based on debian) runs the module without problem on the same
        > pc.
        >
        > I know that till now I wrote like a review, but the real point is that
        > I am using RH for long time and I would like to switch to Debian
        > because I like the apt-get system ( install once, run forever).
        >
        > I am sure there must be out there debians servers running the lastest
        > software with a uptime of years.
        >
        > Can anybody help me to help me get in theDebian world? I though of
        > libranet, but I would like to stick with the source.
        >
        > yours, Meir.

        I've been using Libranet since about January and it is pure Debian with
        some really useful admin scripts (Adminmenu). Once installed you could,
        if you wanted to, remove all the Libranet stuff, do an apt-get dist
        upgrade and you would have _pure_ Debian.

        Another option is to install Knoppix on your hd (you will have to go to
        their website for details -- I've never done it myself).

        BTW Debian is so much better than all those other RPM hell distros.

        Blessings,

        Nigel

        --
        It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
        --

        I AM Bible Studies and Resources
        http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

        Messianic E-Cards.com
        http://www.messianicecards.com

        OliveRoot Ministries
        http://www.oliveroot.net
      • Dima Zbarski
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 19, 2003
          meir michanie wrote:

          >I know that till now I wrote like a review, but the real point is that I
          >am using RH for long time and I would like to switch to Debian because I
          >like the apt-get system ( install once, run forever).

          Why don't you use apt-get rpm?
          Check www.freshrpms.net for the rpms of apt and repositories.
          If you need any help on this, write to my privatly to magistr@...

          Dima Zbarski