Re: [gnubies-il] Installing kernel RPM

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2001
      On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Amir Abiri wrote:

      > While trying to run:
      >
      > rpm -i kernel-2.2.16-22.i586.rpm
      >
      > I get about 20 lines that look somthing like:
      >
      > file <some file> from install of kernel-2.2.16-22 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.2.16-22
      >
      > ?

      First of all, whenever you replace an existing package you should use 'rpm
      -U' and not 'rpm -i'

      rpm is basically telling you that it can't install the new package because
      some of the files in that package will override some existing files in the
      system.

      However, when you Update, instead of install, rpm knows that it may be
      required to remove some older packages. In this case the newer package
      will probably have to be installed in place of the older package.

      (Actually this is some simplification of the situation, but never mind)

      In some cases this will not help, because rpm will not realize that the
      package you want to add is suppose to override one existing package. In
      some cases this can be worked-around by removing (rpm -e) the older
      package and then installing the newer. However, this generally does not
      work with libraries and similar packages that other packages depend upon.

    • Amir Abiri
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2001

        --
        "Don't be ridicelous ! What else is there to do with something that's not broken other then to mess with it !?"