RE: [gnubies-il] mailing list insertion (fwd)

  • Offer Kaye
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2003

      > Hi!
      >
      > I am forwarding this message on behalf of Irving M. Simon who seems to
      > have problems subscribing to GNUbies-IL. Please help him with suggestions
      > for a suitable 56K modem that can be used on Linuxes.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Shlomi Fish

      Any external modem (i.e not a winmodem) should work- a US robotics modem is
      a good choice for example
      (http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-dialup-product.asp?prod=hom-faxv92-ex&lo
      c=mest), but any external modem should work, IMHO.

      ---------------------
      Offer Kaye
    • Kfir Lavi
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
        Hi,
        I'm using diamond external modem. Linux will see it as a device at COMx
        (x=1,2,...). So you won't have to configure anything.
        I bought it second hand, and it works great without a hickup (3 years).
        If you don't want trouble, buy an external modem.
        If you want to search for second hand try:
        buy.walla.co.il
        ads.nana.co.il
        www.homeless.co.il
        www.madas.co.il

        It also possible to use internal modem, BUT it has to be a hardware
        modem, and you will have to check if it works in linux. Hardware modem
        don't use the CPU to operate, so it don't need driver. DONT buy winmodem
        its not hardware.
        I have checked for an internal modem, and i find that the prices are
        ~150nis.
        So my opinion is to go with an external modem, because its the same price.
        Regards,
        Kfir Lavi
      • Kfir Lavi
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
          This what irving sent me and my reply next:
          Irving M. Simon wrote:

          > I wish to thank you for your answer to my cry for help in the wilderness.
          >
          > You indicated that you have checked out an internal hardware modem.
          > Would this unit function in both my operating systems? What is the
          > name of the unit and where can I obtain? What is the advantage of an
          > external modem over an internal?
          > Does it take up much space as space is a limiting factor for me?
          > IRVING SIMON

          I just check the price of the hardware modem.
          You can search for modem in www.zap.co.il.
          Just check its hardware, and it will cost you about ~150 -~300nis.
          External modem is about 15x10cm in size, and you can put it on a shelf
          or your monitor, also it has leds that show you what is going on with
          the line.
          Almost every hardware modem will work in linux. If you decide on
          somthing go to google groups and search for the name of the modem and
          'linux'. There you will see if ppl have trouble with it.
          My openion,
          you don't know much, so go with external, you will not regret it.
          After a while if you want you can sell it, ppl buy this stuff.
          I would go with 2nd, its pretty much the same.
          Regards,
          Kfir Lavi