Re: [gnubies-il] recompiling the kernel...

  • mulix
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 5, 2001
      On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Amir Abiri wrote:

      > hmmm... excuse the newbieness, but what is smp kernel ? and how do i check
      > it ?

      SMP means Symmetrical Multi Processing, or in other words, multiple
      cpu's. you can check by running make menuconfig and checking if you have
      'symmetrical multi processing support' checked under 'processor type and
      features'. another way is the grep your .config for the string
      CONFIG_SMP.

      > > c) did you do all relevant steps before compiling a new kernel?
      > > especially, did you do make mrproper, make [some]config and make dep?
      >
      > yes. well at least according to the howto.
      > i did:
      > make dep
      > make clean
      > make menuconfig ( loweed the CPU one level )
      > nohup make bzImage

      are you sure this is the right order? as far as i recall its clean,
      config, dep, bzImage, modules and modules_install. in particular, make
      dep needs to be run AFTER make config.

      > > d) are you absolutely sure you're compiling the kernel with kgcc on
      > > redhat 7.0, instead of the abomination gcc 2.96?
      >
      > no. how can i check ?

      hmmm... i dont really know, i dont use RH 7.0. maybe running
      [user@host] CC=kgcc make whatever

      is enough, maybe not. maybe the kernel Makefiles take care of this
      automatically, maybe not.

      --
      mulix
      http://www.advogato.com/person/mulix

      linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead
    • Amir Abiri
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 5, 2001
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 6, 2001
          > > hmmm... excuse the newbieness, but what is smp kernel ? and how do i
          check
          > > it ?
          >
          > SMP means Symmetrical Multi Processing, or in other words, multiple
          > cpu's. you can check by running make menuconfig and checking if you have
          > 'symmetrical multi processing support' checked under 'processor type and
          > features'. another way is the grep your .config for the string
          > CONFIG_SMP.
          >
          > > > c) did you do all relevant steps before compiling a new kernel?
          > > > especially, did you do make mrproper, make [some]config and make dep?
          > >
          > > yes. well at least according to the howto.
          > > i did:
          > > make dep
          > > make clean
          > > make menuconfig ( loweed the CPU one level )
          > > nohup make bzImage
          >
          > are you sure this is the right order? as far as i recall its clean,
          > config, dep, bzImage, modules and modules_install. in particular, make
          > dep needs to be run AFTER make config.

          Yes you are right. I was wrong. but it doesn't matter since i did it the way
          the howto said,
          and it said it the same way you did ( expect the clean in the start, i guess
          that menuconfig
          does that automaticly )

          --
          "Don't be ridicelous ! What else is there to do with something that's not
          broken other then to mess with it !?"