Re: [gnubies-il] Re: How can I remove a certain association in firebird?

  • Shoshannah Forbes
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
      in fb, preferences are under "tools"
      On Monday, Jun 16, 2003, at 10:17 Asia/Jerusalem, meh wrote:

      > very wrong as there's no Edit->Preferences in firebird 0.6
    • Shoshannah Forbes
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
        On Monday, Jun 16, 2003, at 13:15 Asia/Jerusalem, Yosef Leibovich wrote:

        > Shoshannah Forbes wrote:
        >
        >> in fb, preferences are under "tools"
        >>
        > wrong again - there's only Options under tools and no MIME association
        > in there

        Well, instead of chasing our tails here, and working from memory (as I
        am on a Mac right now, were the location and names of items in fb are
        different, as we have the "preferences" (not options) under the
        application menu altogether), why not check the docs at:
        http://texturizer.net/firebird/index.html

        > I associated the zip files as "always open" in firebird 0.6 how can I
        > make it save this files instead of launching them?

        At any case, for the original question, from what I remember, you will
        need to edit your pref files to change the setting.
        There is an explanation about editing pref files here:
        http://texturizer.net/firebird/edit.html

        From looking at my own preferences file, I would guess that you are
        looking for something similar to
        user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.saveToDisk",
        "application%2Fx-msdownload");

        Obviously, you will not have the saveToDisk but the action you choose,
        and instead of "application%2Fx-msdownload" you will find the zip file
        mime type.
      • Yosef Leibovich
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
            On Monday, Jun 16, 2003, at 14:13 Asia/Jerusalem, Yosef Leibovich wrote:

            >> From looking at my own preferences file, I would guess that you are
            >> looking for something similar to
            >> user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.saveToDisk",
            >> "application%2Fx-msdownload");
            >>

            > In which file does this text is?

            prefs.js in my user directory

            >> Obviously, you will not have the saveToDisk but the action you choose,
            >> and instead of "application%2Fx-msdownload" you will find the zip file
            >> mime type.
            >>

            > check http://texturizer.net/firebird/options.html no trace to file
            > association in the docs. I've checked this in the menus before
            > replying.

            Not all options are documented there. However, they give some useful
            general guidelines about where to find the preferences files, and the
            best way to edit them.

            > I've checked this in the menus before replying.

            As I wrote, it won't be in the menus- you have to edit your preferences
            files for that.
          • Yosef Leibovich
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
                Got the Answer!
                It's not in the user-doc but FireBird keeps an RDF file for Minetypes
                called (surprisingly) mimeTypes.rdf in which all file streams are being
                listed and told what to do with them. It's pretty readable so I believe
                you'll manage however try to look for NC:alwaysAsk="true" and switch it
                to "false" to make sure FireBird will ask you what to do with the file
                when you're trying to download it. The <RDF:Description
                about="urn:mimetype...<ACTUALMIMETYPE>" will provide the actual mime
                type you handle. two remarks:
                1) you must restart FireBird so that the changes will take effect.
                2) be carefull with what you're doing as corrupting the file might wreak
                havoc.
                Regards
                Yosef Leibovich wrote:

                >Shoshannah Forbes wrote:

                >>>wrong again - there's only Options under tools and no MIME association
                >>>in there
                >>>

                >>Well, instead of chasing our tails here, and working from memory (as I
                >>am on a Mac right now, were the location and names of items in fb are
                >>different, as we have the "preferences" (not options) under the
                >>application menu altogether), why not check the docs at:
                >>http://texturizer.net/firebird/index.html
                >>

                >>>I associated the zip files as "always open" in firebird 0.6 how can I
                >>>make it save this files instead of launching them?
                >>>

                >>At any case, for the original question, from what I remember, you will
                >>need to edit your pref files to change the setting.
                >>There is an explanation about editing pref files here:
                >>http://texturizer.net/firebird/edit.html
                >>
                >>From looking at my own preferences file, I would guess that you are
                >>looking for something similar to
                >>user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.saveToDisk",
                >>"application%2Fx-msdownload");
                >>

                >In which file does this text is?
                >

                >>Obviously, you will not have the saveToDisk but the action you choose,
                >>and instead of "application%2Fx-msdownload" you will find the zip file
                >>mime type.
                >>

                >check http://texturizer.net/firebird/options.html no trace to file
                >association in the docs. I've checked this in the menus before replying.

              • Cameron Simpson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
                  On 09:17 16 Jun 2003, meh <meh@...> wrote:
                  | Cameron Simpson wrote:
                  | >On 00:29 16 Jun 2003, Yosef Leibovich <meh@...> wrote:
                  | >| I associated the zip files as "always open" in firebird 0.6 how can I
                  | >| make it save this files instead of launching them?
                  | >
                  | >It should be like Mozilla:
                  | > Edit
                  | > Preferences
                  | > Navigator
                  | > Helper Applications
                  | > select type (application/zip probably - there may be a few for zip)
                  | > "Edit"
                  | >
                  | >Cheers,
                  | >
                  | very wrong as there's no Edit->Preferences in firebird 0.6

                  Fair enough.
                  You can look in your ~/.mailcap file, possibly.
                  --
                  Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
                  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

                  Reaching consensus in a group often is confused with finding the right
                  answer. - Norman Maier